Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Mini tripods

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
jpgreenwood

Mini tripods

Post by jpgreenwood » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:41 pm

Whats a good one to buy? Im after a little pocket sized tripod that will support the camera and a 3oomm lens whilst on the floor etc.
The last one just snapped the stud under the weight, It was from the pound shop though!! :D

Taxboy

Re: Mini tripods

Post by Taxboy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:03 pm

I think you may struggle trying to support that weight. Have you considered using a bean bag, what are you trying to photograph?

Velvet Glove

Manfrotto 709B table tripod

Post by Velvet Glove » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:03 pm

A possible ~

All metal, sturdy, opens WIDE AND LOW. I rarely use a “mini” tripod but it is handy occasionally. I replaced the top with a snap in quick release as I keep a tripod base plate permanently on the bottom of my camera, I can then very quickly swap between tripods. Not cheap but then you get what you pay for. My large tripod cost me around £250~£300, this mini will probably be around £40~£50. Use your own judgement re: location / lens / overall weight.

Don’t confuse it with any other mini tripods (including Manfrotto mini’s).

See also ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igMlVHZbWus

Hope it gives you something to think about.

Best regards, .. VG

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:48 pm

I use a Hama Traveller Multi Tripod but with a better ball head. With the legs splayed out it can take the weight of a DSLR and medium size lens.

https://uk.hama.com/004061/hama-travell ... copic-tube

Brian

jpgreenwood

Re: Manfrotto 709B table tripod

Post by jpgreenwood » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:02 pm

[quote="Velvet Glove"]A possible ~

All metal, sturdy, opens WIDE AND LOW. I rarely use a “mini” tripod but it is handy occasionally. I replaced the top with a snap in quick release as I keep a tripod base plate permanently on the bottom of my camera, I can then very quickly swap between tripods. Not cheap but then you get what you pay for. My large tripod cost me around £250~£300, this mini will probably be around £40~£50. Use your own judgement re: location / lens / overall weight.

Don’t confuse it with any other mini tripods (including Manfrotto mini’s).

See also ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igMlVHZbWus

Hope it gives you something to think about.

Best regards, .. VG
[/quote

Im not sure which tripod you are eluding to here?

Ive been looking at the Manfrotto PIXI and the Pedco Ultrapod 2 which look quite neat.

Velvet Glove

Post by Velvet Glove » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:42 pm

Sorry, don't know how to be any more "specific" than saying the "Manfrotto 709B table tripod". Don’t go for the Pixi, it won’t be as strong, or as robust, or as suitable for SLR use as the 709B.

Prices have come down a little since my purchase (Amazon UK). Image also shows the quick release plate I keep on mine.

jpgreenwood

Post by jpgreenwood » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:36 pm

Velvet Glove wrote:Sorry, don't know how to be any more "specific" than saying the "Manfrotto 709B table tripod". Don’t go for the Pixi, it won’t be as strong, or as robust, or as suitable for SLR use as the 709B.

Prices have come down a little since my purchase (Amazon UK). Image also shows the quick release plate I keep on mine.
Thanks VG. My bad. I didn't see it in the title. lol. I thought your description was of a different product to the youtube link. I will certainly look at it cheers.

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”