Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Kit for a Beginner

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
SteveR

Kit for a Beginner

Post by SteveR » Mon May 24, 2010 9:29 pm

Hi All,

Was wondering if anybody could offer some advice on the purchase of some new kit for a beginner. New to aviation photography that is & not the Airshow circuit:)

I would love some recommendations for a good zoom lens to get up close n personal, fast jet airshots like those brilliant photos posted on here by other members.

I'm currently using my trusted, everyday Fujufilm FinePix S6500fd camera, but it does not fulfil my needs for good close up-in-the-air military fast jet photos. I'm under no illusion however that this camera was not designed for this type of photography. It only has a focal zoom lens of 28-300mm.

I'm looking at investing in a Canon EOS 450D or 550D which come with twin lens offers of Canon 15-55mm lens & a Tamron 70-300mm Lens, plus the usual extras thrown in.

Is this kit anygood & will the supplied lenses get me some good close-up air photos?

Many thanks,

SteveR
SteveR

Canon EOS 550D (Gripped)
Canon EFS IS 18-55mm
Canon EFS IS 55-250mm
Sigma DG OS HSM 150-500mm
Uniden Bearcat 3500XLT
AirNav RB

Ben Montgomery

Re: Kit for a Beginner

Post by Ben Montgomery » Tue May 25, 2010 8:12 am

Steve,

Certainly sounds like a reasonable kit to start off with, very similar to what I had.

For people to be able to give you some advice on kit, it would be useful to know a rough idea on what budget you are thinking of. :)

Ben

SteveR

Post by SteveR » Tue May 25, 2010 12:08 pm

Hi Ben,

Budget wise I'm looking about £350 for a standalone body, stretching to around £700 for a kit. I'll probably have a budget of around £400-£600 for an extra lens.

I'd be looking to take advantage of stores offering finance options as it will be easier to spread the payments.

Jessops seemed to be offering some good deals with some having the twin lens option. This seems a good idea and would allow me purchase an extra lens should I need it. :)
SteveR

Canon EOS 550D (Gripped)
Canon EFS IS 18-55mm
Canon EFS IS 55-250mm
Uniden Bearcat 3500XLT
AirNav RB

Hawks922

Post by Hawks922 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:17 pm

Steve,
Really don't want to put you off but here is the break down of my own 550D purchase

Canon 550D + the IS Kit lens = £699 (But there is a £50 cashback offer until end of MAY) Jacobs Photography

2 X 8Gb Class 10 SDHC cards = £45 From Ebay

2 X spare batteries = £29 from Ebay.

total £773 all in all

SteveR

Post by SteveR » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:59 pm

Hi Hawks,

Just an update, finally decided what kit to buy & ended up getting a Canon 550D twin lens kit, those being the 18-55mm + 75-300mm.

Spent slightly more than I intended but was told that the 450D was, (if not already), going to be discontinued. Looking at the spec of the 550D I think it's going to be money well spent. :)

Plus you get the bonus of getting a camera + an HD video camera all in one -- BARGAIN :)

Still waiting for it to be delivered at time of writing this, but will go & get a couple of 8gb+ memory cards + a couple of spare batteries whilst I'm waiting.

Cant wait to use it, not going to be able to attend as many shows as I'd hoped this year, but will be attending Biggin Hill, RIAT 2010 & the Southport Airshow.

Will post any decent pics in the relevant forum topic if I get any decent shots :)

Cheers All.
SteveR

Canon EOS 550D (Gripped)
Canon EFS IS 18-55mm
Canon EFS IS 55-250mm
Uniden Bearcat 3500XLT
AirNav RB

Hawks922

Post by Hawks922 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:07 am

Hey Steve, I am more than sure you will not be disappointed with your Camera and lenses. My advice is to get out a bit to play with the camera understand the controls and practice the photography triangle before the airshows.

http://digital-photography-school.com/l ... hotography this should help you understand it.

If you know what you are doing then I apologise for thinking you didn't.

Also make sure if you haven't already downloaded the updates for the canon software as depending on your computer operating system you might have a little trouble converting/processing raw images. I know I had to for windows 7 and windows Vista 64.

I am sure some the wonderful posters here can give you some decent tips to get the most out the camera.

SteveR

Post by SteveR » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:11 am

Cheers Hawks,

Will sure have a good play with it, gonna get some practice in before RIAT at Biggin hopefully. Plus I'm right on the flight paths for London City & Heathrow so can have a practice with the low flying inbounds/outbounds (even though they're not flying at the speeds of fast jet).

Will check out the link you sent, this is my first major purchase of a DSLR camera so will take some getting used too.

Will let you know how I get on. Its due to be delivered soon hopefully.

Cheers,

SteveR
SteveR

Canon EOS 550D (Gripped)
Canon EFS IS 18-55mm
Canon EFS IS 55-250mm
Uniden Bearcat 3500XLT
AirNav RB

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”