Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

SD card deleted files recovery

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
Thunder

SD card deleted files recovery

Post by Thunder » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:29 am

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone on here has had success recovering deleted picture files from SD cards. I'm trying to recover several files that were deleted but not having much success, I've used both Sandisk and Wondershare Data recovery software.

paulh

Re: SD card deleted files recovery

Post by paulh » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:48 am

I have used Sandisk recovery software in the past on a friends card that he deleted all his holiday snaps on.
From what I remember it did recover most or if not all of them.
As long as the card has not been formatted (to delete the files) you should be ok.

Cheers Paul.

POL

Post by POL » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:19 am

Recuva from piriform may help.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:37 am

Similar thread for CF cards not long ago - same suggestions may help you:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=150221

Hope you get them back.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:29 pm

Thanks for the replies. I've tired Recuva and although it was bringing up more files than either Sandisk or Wondershare, it states that some of the files(the deleted ones I presume) are unrecoverable due to them being overwritten. When the files were deleted I continued to take photographs on the same SD card, has this really overwritten the original images ?

Should point out that the card hasn't been formatted since the files were deleted.

POL

Post by POL » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:37 pm

Thunder wrote:When the files were deleted I continued to take photographs on the same SD card, has this really overwritten the original images ?
Simple answer; yes, sorry!

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Thought as much, just didn't want to believe it :lol: So if I stopped taking images on the SD card once the files were deleted and changed over to a different one, the files would still be accessible ?

Ah well as annoying as it is, just have to put it down to experience or lack of. Won't make the same mistake twice.

martmpf

Post by martmpf » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:55 pm

Almost certainly. When you delete a file, photo or any data, it is not actually removed at that point. The the deleted file is simply re-labled as available for future use. The data is only lost when that space is actually used again, so overwriting the origanal.

Andy Marden

Post by Andy Marden » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:56 pm

Thunder wrote:So if I stopped taking images on the SD card once the files were deleted and changed over to a different one, the files would still be accessible ?
Basically, yes.
You have to remember that when you delete a file or photo, you are not actually deleting it at all. You are just telling the computer/whatever that the space used to store the file/image is available for use again.

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”