Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Fantasy of Flight Closed

Bushpilot

Fantasy of Flight Closed

Post by Bushpilot » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:51 pm

Just recieved the following from a work colleague

"Not long back from my Orlando trip, which included a trip to Fantasy of Flight. A well time trip as it turns out, I found out the day before we went that 6th April would be the final day in it’s current form and that it would be closing as a public attraction so that Kermit Weeks could concentrate on his massive refurb/repair/rebuild backlog. As it turns out, speaking it was largely down to visitor numbers – and loads of people who lived in the area didn’t even know the place existed. Effectively a small (2 hangar museum) but with the massive cool factor of Kermit Weeks wandering about chatting to folk and him taking 3 or 4 things up every day. Very relaxed vibe on that front too as we got to stand about 30m away from him cranking up his P51C on the taxiway, then moved across to about 50m from the runway once he’d got it lined up for takeoff – 4 or 5 flybys and he’s back down for Q&A on the flying experience, how he got hold of the plane, what it was like to fly etc. On the day he took up the P51C, a Grumman Duck & the bizzare Sikorsky S-39C. Great place and will hopefully be reborn in the future in a different format.

Highlight of the day for me was probably a trip in his Standard D-35 from 1929 - £40 for a 20 minute pleasure-flight – opportunity too good to be missed! Included in the ticket price was a trip to his storage hangars full of projects in progress – B29, B17, Zero, F4U, Meteor and loads more all in a pretty sorry state but mostly complete."
I want 2% of GDP and I want it NOW!

H.A.Bucken

Re: Fantasy of Flight Closed

Post by H.A.Bucken » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:29 pm

Hi, was it Kermit Weeks that got the Strathallan collection Mosquito?
Kit Rogers

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:29 pm

His stored Meteor F4 - VT229 was once on loan in sunny old Nottinghamshire!! :thumb:

We had five Meteors then rather than just 4! :whistle:
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

YellowBelly

Post by YellowBelly » Wed May 22, 2019 12:03 am

update on this museum.

so last Summer I visited and the hangar by the Connie is now open for business with some wonderful exhibits on display. the receptionist told me that KW closed the other site as the visitors were just interrupting the work/workers all the time, so they closed that part up so they could crack on with stuff. she also stated that he intended to build another large hangar to display the projects as they rolled out of completion. so looks like this is going to eventually turn into an awesome museum in the next couple of years. fingers crossed.

Return to “United States of America”