Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Hill Air Force base? Any info about shooting at the fence?

C24

Hill Air Force base? Any info about shooting at the fence?

Post by C24 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:37 am

There is a museum which looks worth a visit but has anyone tried taking photographs from outside the base?

I sent an email asking for comments but no reply.

:roll:
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Malcolm

Re: Hill Air Force base? Any info about shooting at the fenc

Post by Malcolm » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:48 am

Haven't been for a long time, but even back in the 90's it wasn't unusual to get moved on from the only real spor to watch - the southern end.

At the southern end you can get right under the approach, so landing shots are good. There is also a road running up the eastern side of the perimeter fence to a recycling facility (opposite the old AFRES ramp) so if they come all the way to the southern end for a northerly take off you can get line up shots. You should be able to see some stuff out on the OGDEN ALCC ramp from here too.

The northen end is poor. It's quite mountainous - there is a road up to a crash gate, but you're right under the approach, so not much good for photos. If they land from the north (which in my experiance is the more usual direction) then you're pretty stuffed. Also it's a very long runway, so on landing they often turn off half way down the runway. Therefore being at the southern end isn't much use for northerly landings - They're very high by that point on take off, and done come that far on landing.

You also can't see the ramps from outside, nor from the museum. The museum is good though.

C24

Post by C24 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi Malcolm,

Very useful, thanks. It seems that luck will pay a large part in any results! We will try for help/advice via the Museum which we plan to spend the day anyway.

I would hate to be shot whilst taking a shot! ;)

Cheers,
Charlie :)
C24.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"

swingy

Post by swingy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:32 pm

Malcom is spot on. It is a bit of a pig of a place. Up the east side there are now trees etc making views even more restricted and photography darn near impossible.

Nortside is an escarpment with the fence at the bottom and the base at the top.

West side the road is also lower than the base. It is also a freeway and the base infrastructure blocks most of the views.

South side there is a trailer park that gives some opportunites .

Took this from the trailer park. If you can find somewhere that is not federal land the base cops cant move you on however I am not sure about who owns the trailer park although it is on the opposite side of the road from the base which is a plus from that point of view. And yes it is Dutch. All the way to Hill and the only thing I get is a Dutch F16. Sods law.

DSC_3325as by Swingy2, on Flickr

Museum is good but no real views onto the base. Also I was there in October(I think certainly before the ski resorts at SLC opened) and it was brass mokey weather,

C24

Post by C24 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:14 pm

Hi Swingy,

More handy info, thanks. Nice topshot, I would be happy with that. I know what you mean about cold. SLC is the same height above sea level as the top of Snowdon. It was -25dC last Saturday. My plan is for August/Sept. We will report back later!
C24.

Return to “United States of America”