Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

LUKE AFB

Jason Grant

LUKE AFB

Post by Jason Grant » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:08 pm

Hi Folks,

I am travelling out to Luke AFB for a few hours and have been trying to find out best places to photograph and how the land lies regarding security at this base.

From what I have found out, best place to photograph south of the airfield is on N 159th Ave, and where it approaches he perimeter fence, turn right down a dirt track all the way to the right hand edge of the field. This should position you well for morning photography. Google Earth co-ordinates 33°31'08.46N 112°23'34.13W

North of the airfield looks like anywhere on N Lichfield Road north of Northen Ave crossroads. Google Earth co-ordinates 33°33'09.11N 112°21'31.44W I dont know about parking restrictions here but it should give you a good position for morning photography. I am aware that you could park down Northern Ave. but with the two runways, you might find that you are too close for both approaches. For afternoon photography, there appears to be a road off to the right from Northern Ave, immediately after the approach lights, if you can, I would suggest travelling up it to the first dirt track off to the right and parking there. Google Earth co-ordinates 33°33'17.78N 112°22'02.18W

If anyone can add anything to this post which will help anyone else travelling out to Luke, please do. If any of these positions aren't suitable for whatever reason, please make us aware for future reference.

To help with security, never point any cameras, scopes etc. towards the base.

Cheers.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonintamworth/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JAWS

Re: LUKE AFB

Post by JAWS » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:52 pm

Iceman try looking through this , the guides for Luke and Yuma are both viewable by non-members , hope it helps.
http://www.scramble.nl/airports/index.html
Regards Steve............

"If the Military had to make money, they'd be doomed !!"
Chuck Adams, Buffalo Airlines.

Jason Grant

Post by Jason Grant » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:27 pm

Thanks for the reply Steve :thumb: , Scramble was where I started doing my homework and they are very informative. I found the guide a great start but I understand that situations have changed and security can be hit or miss. I was hoping to get some opinions from members who had travelled out there recently to see how bad security is and if there are areas where security is less of a concern. My main focus is photography and if this is any better than scoping the base for serials.

I'm sure their are members who have encountered problems or overcome them when necessary, it is their stories and tips that I would like to hear.

Thanks again.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonintamworth/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:07 pm

I'm also interested in this, as me and some FC friends are tentatively thinking of doing a USA trip next summer. :)

Jason Grant

Post by Jason Grant » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi Guys, for anyone interested in visiting Luke AFB and photographing from the outside, I can now offer my experience as I was there two weeks ago. From the outside I parked on North Lichfield Road just north of the junction with Northern Ave (google Earth 33°33'09.36N 112°21'32.62W). Luckily a rough piece of ground running alongside the road meant I was clear of the road and not parked on private property (to my knowledge). I made sure I was facing traffic and not obscuring any signs. I had the local sheriff drive past me and all morning I was watched by base security who parked on Northern Ave but never approached me. The spot gave up good views of jets on approach, approx 300 meters from touchdown.

This is the view of the road in front of me looking towards the crossroads and the base.

This is a view slightly to the right of the other image showing the jets on approach and overshooting the second runway 21R which was only used for practice.

Last two images show the kind of photos you can expect to take at about 200mm focal length.

HTH someone else thinking of travelling out there.

JAWS

Post by JAWS » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:53 pm

Some nice shot's there Iceman m got anymore ??
Regards Steve............

"If the Military had to make money, they'd be doomed !!"
Chuck Adams, Buffalo Airlines.

Jason Grant

Post by Jason Grant » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:28 pm

Thanks Steve, I sure have only trouble is they are all grey F-16's. I will do a post in the photo section once I finish my report on Miramar show for the group.

Thanks again.

falcx

Post by falcx » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:35 am

Iceman,
Really nice set of shots. How long did you stand out there along the main road. Last time it took
us less than 10 minutes to have 8 squad cars parked next to us :halo: :halo:

Regards,
Charles

Jason Grant

Post by Jason Grant » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:24 am

falcx wrote:Iceman,
Really nice set of shots. How long did you stand out there along the main road. Last time it took
us less than 10 minutes to have 8 squad cars parked next to us :halo: :halo:

Regards,
Charles
Thanks Charles, we stayed in the car until something approached then jumped back in after it had landed. We were in the spot above for about 2 hours without any hassle but I do understand it's pot luck. I was dressed like a local with a big American hat and shades, maybe that fooled them :ninja:

Return to “United States of America”