Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

It was alright in the Seventies - Pt.1 (Home)

Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic photos in here please.
F3

It was alright in the Seventies - Pt.1 (Home)

Post by F3 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:05 am

When I acquired my first SLR camera (a Zenith) and 300 mm telephoto in 1974 it was a great time for aircraft spotting, esp. in North Yorks where the skies teemed with military aircraft. As the County contained several large training bases the red and white Jet Provosts (constant pitch, variable noise) were part of the soundtrack to our daily lives and the most commonly seen type, closely followed by the Bulldog, Dominie and Jetstream. The Meteor and Vampire of the Leeming based Vintage Pair display team were also regularly flown. Although there were no combat aircraft based in the County the Lightnings from Binbrook were regularly seen, esp. on the coast, where the range at Cowden attracted attack types such as the A10, Buccaneer, F111, Jaguar and Vulcan which were regular customers, plus occasional foreign visitors such as F104s and ANG A7s, esp. on the many exercises. Other birds of passage frequently seen were Canberras and USAF RF-4Cs. The coastline was patrolled by the yellow SAR Wessex from Leconfield esp. during the tourist season whilst the development Buccaneers and Phantoms from Holme on Spalding Moor were frequently seen.

ImageSeventies - JP 5 formation by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageSeventies - Jet Provost Mk.3 XM352 1FTS by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageSeventies- Dominie XS729 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageSeventies - Meteor T7 WF791 Ch.Fenton '79 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageSeventies - Wessex XT680 22 Sqn. by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageSeventies - F4 Brough by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageSeventies - Buccaneer S2B XW543 12 Sqn S2B by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageSeventies - Jaguar GR1 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageSeventies - Vulcan XL391 101 Sqn. Cowden '79 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageSeventies - Lightning F3 AQ 5 Sqn. by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageSeventies - Canberra T17 WD955 EM 360 Sqn. Bridlington by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageSeventies - A10 USAF by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageSeventies - F111E USAF by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageSeventies - USAF RF-4C circa '79 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

ImageSeventies - F104G RNLAF Cowden '78 by Michael Britton, on Flickr

JONLITE06

Re: It was alright in the Seventies - Pt.1 (Home)

Post by JONLITE06 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:10 am

Great Pics!☺ I always remember driving past Cowden one day.......and 4 Buccaneers nearly took the car roof off!!!

Uuoret

Post by Uuoret » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:30 am

Absolutely wonderful pics - thanks for sharing!

jOhn

3Greens

Post by 3Greens » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:42 am

Yes indeed Michael :clap: Living under the approach of Binbrook we saw everything you listed, almost daily. Aircraft inbound to RWY21 would use the BTP (British Titan Products) tall chimney stack on the south bank of the Humber in Grimsby - it was on the extended centre line from the runway and constantly had a large stream of white smoke/steam which also gave a good indicator to pilots of wind direction and strength. Once you found that you were basically lined up !
Must admit that the most amazing (and I believe unique) sight over Grimsby descending for approach to RWY21 was a B52 :Wow: , which was taking part in the RAF/SAC bombing competition and was making its' way back to Marham. Not sure whether it was one of four 'G' models that visited in March 1976 or one of the four 'H' modesl that came over in April 1977. I was unfortunately working that day and have never seen any pics. :@

Yes it certainly was alright in the '70s

Cheers
3Greens :thumb:

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:16 pm

Roll on Pt2. Happy days.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:44 pm

Excellent stuff
Sparts99 wrote:Roll on Pt2.
Definitely - bring on more

Thanks for posting

Darren

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:57 pm

MIchael
As a Phantom Phanatic and modeller I'm particularly interested in the Brough F-4 picture. I guessing it's an a/c used by BAe for testing; however the key points of interest for me are the RWR fin but retaining red, white and blue roundals and straight fin flash combined with the tone down underwing roundals but with the serial number still extending onto the outer wing panel and the white tanks.

I'd be grateful if you'd let me post it on Britmodeller, suitably attributed of course.
Thanks
Iain

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi Michael :P

Wondrous shots and memories :thumbs:

Proper WR&N stuff :lol:

Which JP team was that :S

Poachers, Pelicans, or some other :whistle:

Thanks for posting :thumb:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

F3

Post by F3 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:24 pm

iainpeden wrote:MIchael
As a Phantom Phanatic and modeller I'm particularly interested in the Brough F-4 picture. I guessing it's an a/c used by BAe for testing; however the key points of interest for me are the RWR fin but retaining red, white and blue roundals and straight fin flash combined with the tone down underwing roundals but with the serial number still extending onto the outer wing panel and the white tanks.

I'd be grateful if you'd let me post it on Britmodeller, suitably attributed of course.
Thanks
Iain
No problem Iain. Being one myself I'm very happy to help the cause. There is a serial on the RWR which has defied my efforts to identify.

PB - Not a formal JP team - just one of the 4 ships flown on Graduation Days @ Fenton & Linton which were always worth attending.

jaybee

Post by jaybee » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:32 pm

Lovely look back there, from you Mick.I do like the first shot of the JP formation,a rare sight to catch!
The little jet provost started my spotting habit, seeing the ones from 6 FTS (RAF Acklington) then, track for home
over Newcastle and Gosforth...cheers...JB :thumb:
Oh the games people play now :ninja:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:43 pm

Thanks
Iain
Hi Iain,

Should be XT852, although XT853 was the same scheme, saw it at Boscombe in about 1990. Eventually trashed on the dump at West Freugh if memory serves me right, last active camo F-4M..

I think some of these may be 1980s ;) , The Lightning F3 was one of the last 5sqn display pair and has lost its red bar around the roundel suggesting a 1987 shot, the RF-4C is in European one scheme and I'm pretty sure the Jaguar is a T2, great types and schemes though, I would have loved to see active Dutch F-104s. Keep them coming. :thumbs:

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:46 pm

F3 wrote:

Thanks
Iain
No problem Iain. Being one myself I'm very happy to help the cause. There is a serial on the RWR which has defied my efforts to identify.

PB - Not a formal JP team - just one of the 4 ships flown on Graduation Days @ Fenton & Linton which were always worth attending.
Dick Ward's book "Phantoms squadrons of the RAF and RN" lists the following as being with BAe at Brough and Scampton XT852,853,893,894 and 900 and XV406. Having looked at Peter Foster's RAF Phantom I suspect 852 or 853 which were both YF-4Ms.

F3

Post by F3 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:22 pm

iainpeden wrote:
F3 wrote:

Thanks
Iain

Dick Ward's book "Phantoms squadrons of the RAF and RN" lists the following as being with BAe at Brough and Scampton XT852,853,893,894 and 900 and XV406. Having looked at Peter Foster's RAF Phantom I suspect 852 or 853 which were both YF-4Ms.
I concur Iain. Having looked @ serial again it appears to be 852!

freebirduk

Post by freebirduk » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:38 pm

Sigh. You've got me reminiscing about Vulcan's, Hastings and Varsity's ploughing round the 70's Waddington circuit now. And the JP's and Chippys. Oh, and the yank F-4's and F-111's. The odd Buck. The odd Canberra. The occasional Shack.

Mind you I kept getting the once over from the RAF rossers on a regular basis for hanging about at the highly sensitive spot where they later built the official viewing area and cafe. Had a wry smile when that happened.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:46 pm

I put the picture onto Britmodeller, be interesting to see what's added to the info.

Punkrunner62

Post by Punkrunner62 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:31 pm

Top post thanks very much,looking forward to part 2.
Cheers.

jpickers56

Post by jpickers56 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:06 pm

Great pictures and memories of a wonderful era, thanks for sharing.

teeonefixer

Post by teeonefixer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:33 am

[/quote]

I concur Iain. Having looked @ serial again it appears to be 852![/quote]

I remember this event well...the one and only time a Phantom "landed" at Brough. Somehow I got word on the street that something was up and I was able to see the deputy Chief Test Pilot doing a roller. He was a really natural pilot (and also represented GB at Orienteering). Somewhere in my junk I may even have the date. Of course the other big event was the Buccaneer landing to become gate guard and I was able to photograph that - a project to find the pics when I retire !

A Great Post from "Happy Days"

warferry

Post by warferry » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:49 am

The good old Zenith, had one myself many of my old shots taken with same.Thanks for loading great time down South as well.

Blue Diamond

Post by Blue Diamond » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:10 pm

Great memories. Thanks for sharing.
Fighting 92 - The King Cobras
http://www.92squadron.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.92squadron.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgic Photography”