Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Req: USA West Coast

GoldenPlane

Req: USA West Coast

Post by GoldenPlane » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:54 am

Hi Guys,

Next week it will be finally my first trip to the west coast. As I am allowed to drive in a rental car now, I will do as many (MIL airports) around en between Las Vegas > Tucson > San Diego > San Fransisco.

As the main reason will be numbers, I will ask you guys what are the best airports to see some interesting stuff, or things that are easy to read off (like Stockton Metropolitan). Is that one still active?

Futher, anyone in for the Green Flag 18-10 participants, and dates for an WTI at Yuma?

Thanks in advance!

Jordy
Woensdrechtas.nl

Malcolm

Re: Req: USA West Coast

Post by Malcolm » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:29 am

GoldenPlane wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:54 am
Hi Guys,

Next week it will be finally my first trip to the west coast. As I am allowed to drive in a rental car now, I will do as many (MIL airports) around en between Las Vegas > Tucson > San Diego > San Fransisco.

As the main reason will be numbers, I will ask you guys what are the best airports to see some interesting stuff, or things that are easy to read off (like Stockton Metropolitan). Is that one still active?

Futher, anyone in for the Green Flag 18-10 participants, and dates for an WTI at Yuma?

Thanks in advance!

Jordy
How long are you going for? There are some long drives in that routing - every leg is more than 400 miles (650km) and San Diego to San Fran is 500+ miles (800km). It's not like the UK /Europe where you can hop between bases in an hour or two - you're looking at 6-8 hours drive between places.

Decide on your main targets - I'd chose to spend a weekday at each of Nellis, Luke, Tucson/DM, Yuma and perhaps El Centro if there is something going on. Navy bases in California are hard work. You can't see anything at Leemore or Camp Pendleton, and you are likely to get moved on at Mirimar. North Island is ok-ish, but the views are distant and you'll need good optics to get BuNos. Edwards is a waste of time unless you can get on, but Mojave can be good. A stay in the Mojave Motel 6 is something you'll remember for years, providing the trains don't actually crash through the bedroom walls at 3 in the morning :huh: .

On the way up from San Diego I'd do something like March AFB, Pt Mugu, Fresno ANG, Castle AFB, Mather AFB, Sacremento ALC. All of these are very low key though - some are closed with just preserved stuff or Museums and none of them will get you the quantity of numbers that the active bases will. There are a more museums that can fill weekends and evenings if that's your bag, but Ca isn't what it once was (George, Norton, March, El Toro, Van Nuys, Castle, Mather all closed).

GoldenPlane

Post by GoldenPlane » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:25 pm

Thanks for your answer! My trip will take 3 weeks, so that must be enough time I guess.

I will have a look on the museums!
Woensdrechtas.nl

Pjross

Post by Pjross » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi, I'd echo what Malcolm has mentioned. Distances are a big consideration but you should manage this in a three week period. If you're headed in the direction of Vegas (Nellis) an excursion could be via Rainbow Canyon ( Death Valley area) where low flying takes place on some weekdays. Once you're there it is not as remote as people would think but is quite a drive. On the off-chance that you are headed north towards Reno, Top Gun at NAS Fallon can be worth a look. Depending upon the direction of approach, you can achieve some good images.
Nellis and Luke are almost 'no brainers' with a good level of activity and very easy to view.
Let me know if I can be of any further help...
Cheers

Return to “United States of America”