Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Davis Monthan

jetnoise

Davis Monthan

Post by jetnoise » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:30 am

Hi All
I'm wondering if anyone can help me - a friend is visiting DM in December and has booked on one of the on-base tours, but is wondering whether there are any outfits still doing 'airborne tours' - flying around the area to allow for aerial shots - I've not been myself (bucket list entry) but I understand such flights were de rigour so that spotters could then use the DM book (or a suitable website in these technological times) to determine the identities of the various aircraft seen.
Links to usefull web sites or other contact info would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Jet noise
(The sound of freedom)
Nostalgia isn't what is used to be
Lots more pics on my flickr page - http://www.flickr.com/photos/nog59/

Arthur Tee

Re: Davis Monthan

Post by Arthur Tee » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:33 pm

Try Double Eagle Aviation at Tucson :thumb:

Arthur

Bertie_Basset

Post by Bertie_Basset » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:43 pm

Jet noise,
A few years back I took a flight with Sonoran Wings, which is based at Tucson IAP. Went up in a Cessna 172 and the pilot let me open the side window, so got photos without the window scratches/marks and movement restrictions. Well worth the dollars. My pilot was very helpful, within the limits imposed by the DM ATC but was able to get him to fly a couple of circuits over the Eastern area.
If you fly when DM is active the pilot is restricted to where they can fly and at what height. My flight was at around 6,500 feet if I remember right. I was told by the pilot that these limitations are reduced when DM is inactive.
Over there again myself in next couple of weeks but will not have time for a flight :(
Will be doing the coach tour again though. :thumbs:
Never fails to impress what is stored there. Hope your mate has a great time.
Cheers,
Bertie

sschofield

Post by sschofield » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:29 am

We used Leading Edge out of Tucson in 1996, but I don't think they're operating any more, or at least not operating the overflights.

Double Eagle and Sonoran Wings both regularly get good reviews, as does Kelly's out of Ryan Field.

Downrange

Post by Downrange » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:13 pm

Hi,
Three of us are just back from DM where we once again used Kelly Aviation http://www.kellysaviation.com/ (e-mail: dreamflier35@aol.com) for an AMARG overflight. This is about the third time I have used them and they are excellent, know exactly what our requirements are and are very flexible. We got three circuits at about 5,000' on a Friday morning (off at 07:30) and could possibly have fitted more in, as ATC were obliging that morning, even though they had a C-130 in the circuit near us. Their current rate is about US$187 a hour, in a Cessna 172, with the window open. Please feel free to tell your friend to quote 'Colin from Dublin' to Kelly if he goes ahead with them, she will remember us. I have no commercial interest in their operations but just wish to promote an excellent service!
Regards,

Return to “United States of America”