Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Boscombe Down Wed 4th Oct, Fabulous aircraft!!

Only modern military and government aviation can be posted in this section.
tornado43

Re: Boscombe Down Wed 4th Oct, Fabulous aircraft!!

Post by tornado43 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:29 pm

Liking the colour scheme on the Gazelle .

tornado43

Post by tornado43 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:31 pm

Liking the colour scheme on the Gazelle .

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:47 pm

Sky Dancer wrote:Lovely photos!

But as Capercaillie also asked, when did ZJ646 get those fancy tail markings? They don't seem to be on the underside. Does it have similar markings on the starboard side?

I only ask, as I feel a modelling project coming on....
Yes, it has the markings on both sides I have one pic not to good taken on 600mmm hand held, if you would like it, it's yours!

Sky Dancer

Post by Sky Dancer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:17 pm

Hi there Mr. Fisherman,

Firstly, thanks for posting all of these. I, like many others, have a real fondness for "The Raspberry Ripple Air Force", even though most of them aren't ripple any more!

Thank you for your kind offer of the other pic of ZJ646, any help appreciated!!

All the best,
SD

bvs

Post by bvs » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:33 pm

The markings on 646's Stab/tailplane will be strain gauging/instrumentation ,the stripes will be to highlight the fact to avoid damage !

Sky Dancer

Post by Sky Dancer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:36 pm

BVS,

Thanks for that, always nice to find these things out!!

All the best,
SD

mustang5861

Post by mustang5861 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:03 am

Good to see XX154 still going strong - used to see her in the circuit at RAE Bedford way back when. Happy days!

bvs

Post by bvs » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:23 am

fisherman wrote:I spent a few hours at Boscombe Down, yes this usually requires a certain amount of patience, but on this occasion, it was none stop action and just to end the day Hawk XX154 made a safe emergency landing. Have to say, I had never before seen the deployment of the Hawks emergency generator, last two pics!

What a great day out! I hope you may have enjoyed the pics?
We did enjoy the pics and many thanks for posting them fisherman - we do not see much from BD these days.
Just to clarify that the 'RAT' (Ram Air Turbine) on the Hawk T1 is to supply hydraulic pressure for the Tailplane and Ailerons only (the rudder being non powered) in the event of a loss of pressure on the hyd 2 system (or even if Hyd2 system 'thinks' it has lost pressure) ,it does not supply electrical power.
There are quite a few reasons why a RAT might deploy - sometimes just air in the system (aeration) can cause an erection :)

bvs

Post by bvs » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:29 am

Sky Dancer wrote:BVS,

Thanks for that, always nice to find these things out!!

All the best,
SD
Pleasure SD :) - you can actually see the 2 yellow 'squares' where the strain gauges/transducers are fitted,the rest of the yellow paint meandering to them will be external wiring.
Looking at the pic again today I see there has been some paint removal at the base of the Fin spar which may indicate instrumentation in that area too - would make sense if it is for fatigue monitoring etc.

rgds B

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:26 pm

Much obliged BVS. :thumb:

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:13 pm

bvs wrote:
fisherman wrote:I spent a few hours at Boscombe Down, yes this usually requires a certain amount of patience, but on this occasion, it was none stop action and just to end the day Hawk XX154 made a safe emergency landing. Have to say, I had never before seen the deployment of the Hawks emergency generator, last two pics!

What a great day out! I hope you may have enjoyed the pics?
We did enjoy the pics and many thanks for posting them fisherman - we do not see much from BD these days.
Just to clarify that the 'RAT' (Ram Air Turbine) on the Hawk T1 is to supply hydraulic pressure for the Tailplane and Ailerons only (the rudder being non powered) in the event of a loss of pressure on the hyd 2 system (or even if Hyd2 system 'thinks' it has lost pressure) ,it does not supply electrical power.
There are quite a few reasons why a RAT might deploy - sometimes just air in the system (aeration) can cause an erection :)
Thanks for the kind comments and information, especially thanks to bvs for the interesting information regarding the RAT being deployed on XX154. I guess it was for real as the crew climbed out of the aircraft after landing and emergency vehicles attended!

bvs

Post by bvs » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:13 pm

Yes it would have been for real (note 1),one can get the RAT to deploy by 'stirring the stick' at low speed/low engine rpm to get the hyd 2 pressure low enough to deploy the RAT - but usually that would only be on a flight test to functionally check the RAT hyd system and then the 'reset' button would be pressed to retract the RAT - which would then bring the hyd 2 pump back on line to return the flying control system back to normal operation.

Note 1 - it was not necessarily a hyd failure which deployed the RAT - as I posted above sometimes aeration of the system can cause RAT deployment - or a slight elec problem in the RAT system etc.

rgds B

Return to “Current Military Photography”