Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Suggestions for a European trip?

downhilldave

Suggestions for a European trip?

Post by downhilldave » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi!
Dependent upon a few things happening over the next couple of months, planets aligning, etc, I've thought of treating myself to a week or two sitting on the fence in Western Europe in September or October as a change from yet another grey Typhoon at Coningsby, etc.
Does anyone have any suggestions for bases within, say, a day's drive of either Calais, Caen or St Malo that offer reasonable views and photography prospects (pus a record of relatively civilised policing!) that I could string together into a driving holiday. Luckily I'll be on my own so I don't have to dress it up as a cultural, sightseeing or shopping trip! :thumb:
I know I can spend time on Google Maps, etc to see what likely targets look like from above but nothing beats any personal experiences or tips that can be passed on.
Thanks in advance!
Old enough to have been taught to fly by Basil Pring in a Rallye 150 at Dunkeswell - and lived to tell the tale!
Claim to fame? My mum once danced with Guy Gibson. Honestly...

merlinhunter

Re: Suggestions for a European trip?

Post by merlinhunter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:13 am

Hello Dave,

My suggestion would be to go to the two French bases at St Dizier (Rafales) and Nancy (M2000D). Only about 250 miles from Calais. St Dizier is quite good for spotting with both ends of the runway quite accessible. In my personal experience, the local Gendarmerie will want to know what you are doing but in a friendly way. Nancy is a bit more awkward because it is on a hill. Both bases have been quite busy when I have been there. The scramble guides will give you lots of useful information:

http://www.scramble.nl/airfield-guide/france

Then if you fancy going a bit further afield, it is not that far to Ramstein and Spangdahlem. And there are a couple of French army helicopter bases nearby too.

Have a good trip, wherever you go,
David

david14

Post by david14 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:23 pm

Never had much joy with French fighter/training bases, hours of frustration with nothing much happening. If you want something bigger, then Evreux was quite busy when I visited and an evening visit to Chateaudun is interesting.
Outside France, then Leeuwarden and Volkel would be high on my list - good facilities for spotters, friendly locals, understanding police and generally quite busy. Just need to get some decent weather, rather than the usual grey skies

Regards

David

downhilldave

Post by downhilldave » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:33 pm

Hey!
Thanks to merlinhunter and david14 for the advice so far - exactly what I was looking for!
Cheers :thumb:
Old enough to have been taught to fly by Basil Pring in a Rallye 150 at Dunkeswell - and lived to tell the tale!
Claim to fame? My mum once danced with Guy Gibson. Honestly...

Return to “Europe”