Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Anyone been to a Sola Airshow/has any advice?

Post all your European Airshow news, updates and rumours in here
JeffreyK

Anyone been to a Sola Airshow/has any advice?

Post by JeffreyK » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:38 pm

Hi,

with the news of the restored Norwegian CF-104D attending the Sola Airshow this summer, I'm thinking about going, maybe a once in a lifetime chance to see an F-104 display for me.
I've never been to Sola/Stavanger nor indeed to Norway before so I'm wondering what's advisable/practicable and worth considering when planning this. I could fly from London to Stavanger on Friday for instance - is there affordable accommodation nearby (probably as it's an airport, but...) ? Do you need to think about transport, or can everything be reached on foot? If I stayed on until Sunday, could I still attend the second show day, stay until shortly before my flight and then "hop over" to the passenger terminal? How does this work anyway with an airshow at an operational airport?

Cheers
Jeffrey

Bushpilot

Re: Anyone been to a Sola Airshow/has any advice?

Post by Bushpilot » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:52 pm

Jeffery,

Stavanger is EXPENSIVE!!. I've only been there for work on expenses. There are a few airport hotels, but a good one is the Sola Stand which is at the end of the cross runway on the beach. Plenty of hotels in the city with bus links to the airport, the bus prices are very reasonable. From memory the bus ride to the airport is around 20-30 minutes from the city centre. I've never been to a show there but I expect that entry will be from the RNAF side of the airport. Walking is probably not an option as the airport hotels are on the opposite side of the airport from the RNAF base.

cheers

Julian
I want 2% of GDP and I want it NOW!

JeffreyK

Post by JeffreyK » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:25 pm

Many thanks! I think I'll use the contact facility on the Sola website, perhaps they have some recommendations. I think I should book soon in order to avoid disappointment with flight and hotel availability
J.

jagmadandy

Post by jagmadandy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:28 pm

Hello

I can recommend the Sola Strand hotel, we used it in August whilst doing some work at the Flyhistorik Museum (well worth a visit, it has an F-104 on a pole just by the fjord.) The hotel and area are very expensive though. The hotel is roughly 5 minutes taxi ride from the RNoAF side of the airport. Taxi's can be easily arranged from the hotel. A friend of mine is helping to organise the show and it sounds like a good event! We flew BA from Heathrow direct to Stavanger.

Hope this helps

Regards

Andy

JeffreyK

Post by JeffreyK » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:36 pm

Thanks, I had a look and the Strand Hotel looks nice indeed, but was 100 Quid more than the Clarion Air, which is also closer to the airport so I reserved a room there (can cancel free of charge). I'll wait until I hear more details form the show itself before I book flights though.

Cheers
Jeffrey

david14

Post by david14 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:24 am

Jeffrey
I agree with much of what has been written here.

I went in the summer, it's a nice city, but it is expensive.

The museum is well worth a visit - they opened up specially for me, as I couldn't do their normal open days, so you may want to contact them in advance

David

Return to “European Airshows”