Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Axalp 2016 cancelled

Post all your European Airshow news, updates and rumours in here
starbug

Axalp 2016 cancelled

Post by starbug » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:05 pm

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I just spotted this information regarding Axalp being cancelled this year (apologies for the questionable English, its a google translation job).

"Bern, 09.30.2016 - Following the two accidents that have devastated the Swiss Air Force, three dead in four weeks, Federal Councillor Guy Parmelin decided today to waive the aviation firing demonstration planned on the Axalp 12 and 13 October.

Management DDPS canceled aviation firing exercise held on the Axalp on 12 and 13 October 2016 is canceled. A decision that was not easy. However, with regard and respect for the three pilots died in a month and the flight assistant seriously injured Swiss Army, the department chair has ruled for the cancellation.

The commander of the Air Force also decided to abandon the firing drive that should have taken place from October 11 to 13 on the Axalp, in parallel to the traditional demonstration.

As late as last Wednesday, September 28, a Super Puma type helicopter crashed Gothard. Both drivers were killed and a crew member was seriously injured. A month earlier, on 29 August, a pilot was the victim of a fatal accident. He was killed in the crash of his F / A-18 in the Susten region. Previously, on 9 June 2016 at the Leeuwarden air rally (NL), a Tiger F-5 crashed and October 14, 2015, in the French Jura, an F / A-18 suffered the same fate. In both cases, the drivers have been saved by their ejection seat."

https://www.admin.ch/gov/de/start/dokum ... 63992.html

Martin

Rotörhead

Re: Axalp 2016 cancelled

Post by Rotörhead » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:32 pm

Really disappointing news, I've already booked my accommodation, flights and bought a load of Swiss francs specifically for this. Looks like I'll try again another time - hopefully I'll find something else on to do in Switzerland for those few days, any ideas?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/olicphoto/

Aviation Photography Instagram: @olicphoto

swissairforce

Post by swissairforce » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:40 pm

I have to confirm that. Very sad times in the Swiss AF at the moment.

The young Hornet pilot that died a month ago flew too low through clouds and hit a mountain. The aircraft was smashed into the smallest debris. The accident was probably caused by an air traffic controler that gave him a wrong flight level. Registration of the F/A-18C was J-5022.

And the AS532UL Cougar Mk1 (not a AS332M1 Super Puma as everywhere written) flew into electrical cables short after takeoff. Apart the two killed pilots a load master was seriously wounded. Registration of the Cougar was T-338.
my website: www.aviapress.ch

starbug

Post by starbug » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:46 pm

Olicat wrote:Really disappointing news, I've already booked my accommodation, flights and bought a load of Swiss francs specifically for this. Looks like I'll try again another time - hopefully I'll find something else on to do in Switzerland for those few days, any ideas?
Well, the bases may well still be flying at Meiringen, Payerne and Emmen so a base visit would be an option. Aside from aviation things your not far from Reichenbach Falls of Sherlock Holmes fame. Plus the Swiss alps is one of the most stunning places in the world to visit so spending some time doing landscapes wouldn't be wasted time either.

Rotörhead

Post by Rotörhead » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:50 pm

Meiringen isn't far from where I'm staying, was only there for two days really so I'll probably pay that a visit I think, and I've always wanted to go to Switzerland, so all is not lost

swissairforce

Post by swissairforce » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:21 pm

Aviation museums are also an option:
Dübendorf http://www.afc-fliegermuseum.ch/en/opening-hours/ (open Tuesday to Friday 13:30-17:00 only, Saturday 9:00-17:00)
Payerne http://www.clindailes.ch/mca_horaires_eng.php (open Tuesday to Sunday 13:30-17:00 only)
Altenrhein http://www.fliegermuseum.ch/index.php/m ... ormationen (open Saturday and Sunday 13:30-17:00 only)
my website: www.aviapress.ch

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:24 pm

If you can get there, Dubendorf museum is well worth it too. But as has already been said - Switzerland anywhere, anytime - yes please!

Viper28

Axalp 2016 - Cancelled

Post by Viper28 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:51 am

In case anyone going has not heard yet:

https://www.admin.ch/gov/de/start/dokum ... 63992.html

Basically if you don't read Swiss German its in respect to the recently lost FA18 pilot and Puma crew

I can understand there thinking but personally I think most pilots I know would hate the flying to stop.....

POL

Re: Axalp 2016 - Cancelled

Post by POL » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:54 pm

I'd imagine "respect for the families" is a nice PR reason, and nothing more. Some serious questions are likely being asked for the Swiss Air Force at the moment, a lot of accidents, some fatal, in a very short space of time.

Chris Procter

Post by Chris Procter » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:00 pm

Olicat
first off Switzerland is an epic country I love the place... a good place for a day out and is just about as photogenic as it gets anywhere in the World is a place called Ballenberg a collection of Swiss culture including every type of chocalate box type houses ever built totally awesome place to visit
link (just outside Interlarken and very near Meringen)
http://www.interlaken.ch/en/open-air-mu ... nberg.html

another fabulous day out is head upto Wengen and have a ride on the highest train ride in Europe up the inside of the Eiger Mountain jaw dropping scenery great for a day trip
also dozens of steam boat type rides around the various lakes which also passes a lovely half day taking in the scenery

lozza

Post by lozza » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:22 pm

Chris Procter wrote:Olicat
first off Switzerland is an epic country I love the place... a good place for a day out and is just about as photogenic as it gets anywhere in the World is a place called Ballenberg a collection of Swiss culture including every type of chocalate box type houses ever built totally awesome place to visit
link (just outside Interlarken and very near Meringen)
http://www.interlaken.ch/en/open-air-mu ... nberg.html

another fabulous day out is head upto Wengen and have a ride on the highest train ride in Europe up the inside of the Eiger Mountain jaw dropping scenery great for a day trip
also dozens of steam boat type rides around the various lakes which also passes a lovely half day taking in the scenery
Agreed were just going to have a week of landscapes now, will be just as much fun

Rotörhead

Post by Rotörhead » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys, looks like I'll do Meiringen and maybe a hike or some landscapes. I'm still looking forward to it regardless, It'll be an adventure going all by myself

Chris Procter

Post by Chris Procter » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:26 pm

lozza wrote:[quote
Agreed were just going to have a week of landscapes now, will be just as much fun[/quote]

Lozza if your pics from this trip are only half as good as the landscape one's you posted last time you went it will be well worth the trip - you got some real stunners from Axalp Wildgarst scenery images
I could spend all day shooting at Ballenberg at all the old choclate box houses of every variety through the centuries... that have been rebuilt

morticiaskeeper

Post by morticiaskeeper » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:03 am

If you're reasonably fit, get the Jungfraujoch train through the Eiger, then walk across the glacier to the Monchjochshutte. It's the highest mountain hut in Europe, and serves food and good coffee!

Only 1km, slightly uphill, but quite a different 1km at that altitude!

Fat Bob John

Post by Fat Bob John » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:23 pm

Fantastic country to visit as others have said. Reichenbach Falls are good and some lovely countryside around there. Gruyere is excellent (but touristy), The old parts of Berne are worth a visit and Freiburg has some amazing medieval walls. Loads of Roman ruins to visit as well as all the medieval stuff throughout the countryl. And there's the Air Bases that the others have mentioned - keep a look out for the Vampire on a pedestal around Payerne if I remember. Oh and Interlaken is worth a visit. Enjoy!!!

fasteagle

Post by fasteagle » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:31 am

I will still be going, base tour with the museums thrown in - just read opening times as Dubendorf only open after lunch i think?

A380_sully

Post by A380_sully » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:50 pm

Well our tour of 13 LFA7 togs has dwindled somewhat since news of the cancellation arrived.

We are currently down to 5, awaiting on 4 others, but our plans are for bases and landscapes. Aare Gorge near Meiringen looks spectacular, as does Schilhorn and Trummelbach falls.

We will be in and around Meiringen air base on Monday so if you see a group of us, come on over and say hi. Tuesday landscape or Emmen and Buochs depending on wx and Schilthorn Wednesday.

Whatever happens we'll make the most of it! Maybe we'll see some of you around.

Kelvin

Rotörhead

Post by Rotörhead » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:49 pm

I think I'll be at Meiringen on Thursday, say hello if you spot me. Actually rather looking forward to the whole experience as I gather things are rather relaxed photography wise at the bases in Switzerland

mikee115

Post by mikee115 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:02 am

I was really looking forward to watching the spectacle of Axalp but completely understand why it has been cancelled. The Swiss Air Force has had a difficult year with loss of personnel and aircraft. Blue skies to all the lost personnel and thoughts with their families.

Looks like it will be a trip to a few bases to and from Zurich and visits to Payerne and Meiringen (where our hotel is) for myself and my fiancé. Looked at what else there is to do in the local area and there are some stunning waterfalls and views. I think a trip in the Jet Boat will need to be done at Interlaken too!!!

We're there Tuesday to Thursday so maybe see some of you guys about.

Does anyone have maps of the bases with spotting locations? I know Scramble has some but I'm not a member so can't see some of the maps.

Have a great time all who are going and hopefully it will be back on in 2017.

lozza

Post by lozza » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:40 pm

Chris Procter wrote:
lozza wrote:[quote
Agreed were just going to have a week of landscapes now, will be just as much fun
Lozza if your pics from this trip are only half as good as the landscape one's you posted last time you went it will be well worth the trip - you got some real stunners from Axalp Wildgarst scenery images
I could spend all day shooting at Ballenberg at all the old choclate box houses of every variety through the centuries... that have been rebuilt[/quote]

Cheers Chris, this would have been my 6th Axalp so can't grumble but feel sorry for those that not been before....

If people need a few ideas, check out the Grimsel Furkka and Susten pass probably the best drive your ever do just outside of Meiringen as well, also the steam train up to the Rothorn from Brienz is an epic trip, or go to Grindelwald and take the cable car up to First from here you can walk up to the Faulhorn, restaurant at the top or if you don't want to walk that far, half hour from First cable station is an amazing lake to photograph with a truly inspiring backdrop.

Return to “European Airshows”