Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Possible visit later in Year

Please post movements and activities to do with AAC Middle Wallop here
Unknown74

Possible visit later in Year

Post by Unknown74 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:06 pm

Am going to be in the Middle Wallop area in early Summer and am hoping to visit the Army Aviation Museum, I have read about the Museum many times and that you can see the AAC movements but what I would like to know is, is the Historic Flight area and the Blue Eagles area anywhere near the Museum?

tm74sqn

Re: Possible visit later in Year

Post by tm74sqn » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:47 pm

The AAC historic flight aircraft are kept in the end of Hangar 3 that you can see from just outside the museum. If you are lucky you may see one or two of their a/c outside the hangar. As for the Blue Eagles - I thought they were disbanded a year or two back.
Have an enjoyable visit - you can never tell what will turn up (not fast jets oviously!) as last time I was there a nice Defender AL.2 landed.
TM74

robin

Post by robin » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:41 pm

Also of note nice little cafe on second floor, which has hot and cold food, and a view of the part of the airfield (due hill that in the middle, which makes seeing some movements difficult, while others taxi, right by the cafe windows, and ground viewing grass area.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:31 pm

I've been down twice in the last month, both times it's been fairly busy with Squirrels buzzing about the place.

Unfortunately the Apaches are parked up out of sight, but as said above with the cafe it gives you a great viewing area with nice food ! ;)

Here's some of the photos i've taken on the last couple of visits;

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=54964" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

&

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=54199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Proper good day out had both times, if it's sunny make sure you take sun block as there's absolutely no hiding from the sun there.

chinook1

Post by chinook1 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:40 pm

Living near MW and often going up there I find that like most air bases there are good and bad days. At the moment it is fairly good as the historic flight are being tested.

Park in the museum car park. The restrauunt is fantastic. There is a good view of Lynx , Gazelle and occassionally the odd Islander from the museum restraunt and car park. Also the historic flight are very active in this area.

There are a few down sides. One is that the sun is usually diectly in front of you. In the afternoon if they are landing on runway 08 go to the far end of the field next to the car park as they tend to come in between the end of the field and the museum. Also avoid the times when the army go on block leave. Usually this is during the school summer holidays when there are to many little darilings up there anyway, usually running wild in the museum.

Dispite what you have been told it is possible to see the Apache ramp and also get good pictures of them on approach as is the same with the Bell 212s. I have video's to prove it.

If nearer the time of your visit if you send me a PM I will try and get more info for you.

PB

Return to “AAC Middle Wallop”