Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF Chinook on the ground

Please post movements and activities to do with AAC Middle Wallop here
Kevin Brewer

RAF Chinook on the ground

Post by Kevin Brewer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:34 am

Currently on the deck here near the control tower is an RAF Chinook. Unfortunately I can't get an angle on it for the serial with my bins but someone with a pole might have better luck. It has cockpit and engine covers on and rotors tied down with no sign of movement around it. It doesn' have a code but has the enlarged fuselage sponsons so a later mark of aircraft, but it looks too worn to be one of the brand new examples.

Stored behind Hangar 2 are a line of 4 Lynx AH.7s plus at least two Scouts and what maybe a further airframe next to them but wrapped in a tarpaulin. Beyond this line and nearer the hangar are two further Lynx AH.7s. The only one I could read off was Lynx XZ641, nearest the road.

Hope this may be of use.

Kevin Brewer

Re: RAF Chinook on the ground

Post by Kevin Brewer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:06 pm

Updating my earlier post, a further drive-by at 2.00pm this afternoon revealed groundcrew hard at work on the Chinook, addressing what appears to be a gearbox or transmission issue. All covers till on and rotores still tied so i guess it will be there for a while yet.

Looking at the stored aircraft again I think there may be 5 or 6 Army Lynx in the first line, plus three Scouts.

JAWS

Post by JAWS » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:15 pm

Kevin , on some of the previous posts under Middle Wallop there are logs with some of the stored aircraft , might be of some help to you with serials .
Regards Steve............

"If the Military had to make money, they'd be doomed !!"
Chuck Adams, Buffalo Airlines.

Kevin Brewer

Post by Kevin Brewer » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:38 am

Many thanks Steve. I'll take a look, but I think the storage situation here changes pretty frequently so I'm hoping that someone will be going on a base visit sometime soon!

Return to “AAC Middle Wallop”