Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

HMS Ocean L12

RichC

HMS Ocean L12

Post by RichC » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:35 pm

Started this project along with many others (Albion/Bulwark, Bay Class, RNLI Lifeboat, Panther CLV, Oshkosh tanker, Husky) back in February. However seeing lowlevelRAF's post recently spurred me to carry on with the project. I guess it was a case of starting too many projects at once and i concentrated on the Oshkosh and Panther CLV (not releasing for FSX as it was my own project for satisfaction and its a large file!!).

Anyway, have LOTs of detail to add over the next few weeks to HMS Ocean. More textures, objects/antennas, guns and deck machinery etc. The model is not "very" detailed to keep the FPS down so not to bothered about that. The shape of Ocean is very difficult to get right and i have got there 75% of the way. The dimensions are pretty much correct though.

Anyway a few screenshots of the development.... and in a few weeks (yes it takes that long as i keep changing things) i will probably release it for those interested. It is landable already in beta stage.
What is tough, is that i am doing this by pictures only and not blueprints (which i did with the Panther CLV) and every picture shows different details. Each refit has produced more on the ship or less... so it is difficult to get right. Even the funnels are different now to what they were a couple of years ago.

The very start.....

And beta testing it in FSX... ignore the microlight!

Hard part coming is adding the fences and "stuff" and not looking forward to that.
It is also compatible with aiCarriers2 programme so it will be (after adding the right text to your cfg file) a moving carrier within the aicarriers addon.

crazydunc

Re: HMS Ocean L12

Post by crazydunc » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:47 pm

Rich,

These look amazing! Keep up the good work!

If you ever need a hand beta testing, shout me!

Dunc

RichC

Post by RichC » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks Dunc,
Not intelligent enough (!) to get my head around gmax (or patient enough) so using a different programme which isn't as advanced in modelling but it works okay.
Once i get the detail on and modified a few things i will let you have a test. Haven't hardened the deck properly all over yet either... just the main bit.

Will be great for flying the helo's from when finished.
I am also doing a lifeboat which will work in aicarriers. So you can have a moving lifeboat to practice hovering over in the SAR helos at whatever speed you wish.
I've already started the other class of ships but only the first blocks so to speak. Looking forward to doing the Bay Class but not Albion as that has lots of detail on the superstructure. Which means lots of hours of work.

No where near as good as the aircraft models people bring out but ships don't need to be, as long as you can land on them and they look pleasing enough!

lowlevelRAF

Post by lowlevelRAF » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:31 pm

Fantastic work Rich! Your Ocean is coming on very well indeed! Mine is nearly finished, but should be out within the next week, but isnt as detailed as this one will be, by the sounds of it :)! I look forward to some of the other ships and boat you are doing mate :thumb:

Matt :cool:
vRAF.net
MSPG Simulations - http://www.facebook.com/mspgsimulations

RichC

Post by RichC » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:09 pm

Further development and now final stages.......(just need someone to help adding smoke and make the radars turn as i am not competent in gmax yet...and this was made in a different programme)

Whole ship is 'hard surfaced' and i won't be adding anymore detail.... just a few bits of paint to add in some places.

It works in aiCarriers apart from when i set it to go "forward" at the speed i have set in the CFG, it goes sideways. So i might need to orientate it 90° in the 3D model and then re-convert to MDL and try that (any ideas??)

I have the shape right now about 90-95%, just couldn't quite model the lower hull right and a few things are not in the exact place on the superstructure to a tee.

I was going to add the safety netting around the hull but the fence took so long on just one side i decided not to. I have spent "hours and hours" on this model even though it looks simple, it isn't by far.

Anyone competent in GMAX, i could use your help, i am able to convert the MDL to 3DS so GMAX opens it but i have no idea on how to make the radars rotate or smoke to appear (i just tried with modelconverterX to add the smoke but it hasn't showed. Will try again later and if i still fail to do so, would appreciate some help with those who know the ins and out of GMAX.

StuBie

Post by StuBie » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:30 pm

Looks great Rich :thumb:

What design software did you use?
BECAUSE TYPING IN LOWER CASE WOULD BE EASY.............

RichC

Post by RichC » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:53 pm

Pretty much finished now, not adding anymore detail as its becoming to FPS heavy as it is.... although i'm getting a good 15-28fps on an old laptop.
I was going to add lights for night work but not now. It's taking over my free time as is the RFA Lyme Bay and becoming very difficult when you have a family (Wife and kid!.

Smoke, Wake and Hard Deck all added. Although intermittently when using aicarriers so far, the smoke and wake disappear now and then??? Any ideas why?

Model done in Sketchup, model conversion, smoke, hard surface conversion done in ModelConverterX. I could have added real textures but decided not to.

Rotörhead

Post by Rotörhead » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:15 pm

Nice!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/olicphoto/

Aviation Photography Instagram: @olicphoto

Odilsonbenzi

Post by Odilsonbenzi » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:15 am

Good night. excellent work, congratulations.
Can you make available the 3d model, of the scketup, to download?
Thank you!

lowlevelRAF

Post by lowlevelRAF » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:38 am

RichC appears not to be on Fighter Control no more. I don't think he ever uploaded it.

I made a HMS Ocean as well, not wishing to steal the thread, but can be found here.

http://www.mspgsimulations.com/hms-ocean.html
vRAF.net
MSPG Simulations - http://www.facebook.com/mspgsimulations

Return to “Flight Simulator”