Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Advice

cj9ru

Advice

Post by cj9ru » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:21 pm

I am hoping for some advice. I now have my son's old PC so well able to support Flight Simulator. Good graphics card etc.
What should I buy that woukd allow me to 'fly' a Typhoon/Tornado and possibky a Spitfire etc.
What in way of reasonably priced controllers ( joystick) etc.
Which version of flight simulator
Which add ons to give me the ability to 'fly' the above types?

I have never had flight simulator before although I did have a go on my friends Cessna Flight Simlator ( he had all the realistic controls) when he was doing his pilot's licence. Not needed to that level but just to have some fun.

Thanks for any advice

Chris

cj9ru

Re: Advice

Post by cj9ru » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:23 pm

Should have said

It us running in Windows 10

Cheers

igorski

Post by igorski » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:54 am

The big players are X-Plane, Prepar3D, and FSX. I don't have X-Plane so I'll not dwell to much on that. It is a capable sim, I just don't know enough to inform you.

P3D is a update of FSX so there a lot of compatible add-ons for both. P3D is a current product with updates and new versions under active development. The oiriginal FSX has had no development since it's release way back. FSX is also available in a 'Steam Edition' which I don't have so I don't know if there s anything new there. I use P3D in Windows 10 and it works fine.

You will be able to find Typhoons, Tornado and Spitfire for FSX or P3D, both for free and to buy. Try the free ones first and ask about before you buy, you money doesn't always goes far as it ought with flight sim add ons - quality does not necessarily increase with price and there are great freebies to be found.

I use an X-52 controller. Last time I looked there are still remarkably expensive for how long they've been around. But I have had mine many years and it's still going strong. The 52 comes as a stick and throttle pair. Some controllers have the throttle as a small lever on the stick base, it depends how you want to fly.
- Andy

cj9ru

Post by cj9ru » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:40 am

Thank you.
Will have a look at these and price them.

Chris

Return to “Flight Simulator”