Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Like Button

A forum for us to keep you informed on the latest updates on the FC website and forums.
Synchro Pair

Like Button

Post by Synchro Pair » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:55 pm

A few forums I have been a member of have a "like" button, a bit like the facebook system. This allows members to agree with a post without posting a comment or just having a long list of replies saying "Nice photos" etc.

Not sure if it can be done here, or if people would use it but thought I would throw it out there.

If people agree* with my suggestion, then post below, or if we had the above suggestion already, you could of rested your fingers and just clicked "Like" :P

* You can of course disagree with me and still post :)
"....with the help of smoke and mirrors"

All views/comments posted are my own and not those of an official source.

Synchro Pair

Re: Like Button

Post by Synchro Pair » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:02 am

That's good, so is the idea of a tweet button :thumb:

MikeB
Administrator

Post by MikeB » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:04 am

Oops! Deleted my reply as I mis-read! (It's getting late!)

Not sure on the possibility of the feature you're referring to!

However, a Facebook like and tweet button is on my list of things to look into!

Cheers,
Mike

Synchro Pair

Post by Synchro Pair » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:08 am

Oh OK :)

GOOSE

Post by GOOSE » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:55 pm

There you go SP, Facebook and Tweet buttons supplied by Mike.

Not sure I agree with "Forum Like / Rate Post" Buttons though...........In a previous incarnation of FC, like and dislike buttons were removed due to some of the more mischievous members misusing them and generating a bit of bad feeling.

Synchro Pair

Post by Synchro Pair » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:25 pm

They are handy, but not what I had in mind. But never mind :)

But maybe the like buttons (the ones I had in mind) would be misused, mates looking after mates etc.
Last edited by Synchro Pair on Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sav

Post by sav » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:36 pm

Sounds a good idea

LightningGoose

Post by LightningGoose » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Has the 'Like Button' just been changed?
Nikon D3100
Nikon DX AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 G VR
Nikon DX AF-S NIKKOR 55-300mm f4.5-5.6 G ED VR

https://sites.google.com/site/thelightn ... otography/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MikeB
Administrator

Post by MikeB » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:04 pm

LightningGoose wrote:Has the 'Like Button' just been changed?
Sorry, what do you mean?

Cheers,
Mike

LightningGoose

Post by LightningGoose » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:05 pm

Oh, sorry, I didn't edit my post, the Facebook like button didn't load properly and it just said 'Like.' :)
Nikon D3100

https://sites.google.com/site/thelightn ... otography/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GOOSE

Post by GOOSE » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:11 pm

LightningGoose -

We've never had a like button before on this incarnation of Fighter Control.

On a previous board we did and we found some people would create mischief by "voting up" or "voting down" certain people's posts. It all became rather cliquey and was more unpopular than popular. Also we found that the feature would harm discussion as people would simply vote on a post rather than take the time and effort to add a constructive reply.

It became quite tedious in the end so is not something we ever looked at again. The new features are purely for Facebook and Twitter and not a forum style "like" button. If there was sufficient call for that sort of feature we could revisit the idea but it's not something I'd vote for.

Hope that answers your and other's question? :)

LightningGoose

Post by LightningGoose » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:15 pm

I don't think I would use it, and was just asking out of interest. I don't use Facebook anyway.
I do see you point there though, I would much prefer comments on my posts, not 'likes.'
Nikon D3100

garyscott
Location: DONT trust Atoms . . . . they make up everything . .

Post by garyscott » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:18 am

To be honest i dont really think a "like" button has a place on a forum, ive seen other forums that give "thanks", but thats it. It is a function that i know i wont use, its almost a "cant be ar5ed" button, cant be bothered to comment in either the positive or negative, so just click "like". :unsure:

MikeB
Administrator

Post by MikeB » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:41 pm

I think it's clear a 'like' button isn't something people want, but just to be clear, the new like button at the top of threads isn't that form of like button it's a Facebook like button explained here - viewtopic.php?f=131&t=47993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,
Mike

tonkatom

Post by tonkatom » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:49 am

I think it makes the users become lazy and disinterested,agreed it becomes a bit tiresome reading NICE PHOTO!! around 20 times at the bottom of someones post,but at least the person has gone out of there way and written that,rather than just press a LIKE button.
Also what is this LIKE button set to achieve? to try and ensure that replys are fewer on topics??Or to try and put one word in everyones mouth :Wow: I LIKE!!!!
May the skies be clear and blue and the wind fair with a guiding star to steer by.

C24

Post by C24 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:40 pm

Thank you for drawing to my attention to the tweet and like icons-why are they there?

I am still trying to figure out why there is blue button with FC in the middle; whether it is possible to mark a thread so that I can find it again to read (I have occasionally posted a reply so that I can shortcut via my posts).

Everyone starts off with a few words, imagine a group of us standing taking photos for four hours and not speaking, or my idea of fun!

Well , there you go, I 've taken so long that I've lost the thread
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

POL

Post by POL » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:32 am

Twitter "Tweet" button: So you can share the topic with your followers on Twitter.
Facebook "Like" button: So you can post it to your Facebook wall and thus share the topic with your Facebook friends.

Which blue button?

This one: Image says there are no new unread posts in the topic.
This one: Image says there are unread posts.
The one: Image says that the topic is locked to new posts.

You cannot mark a topic so you can come back to it later, but have you ever tried something like Read It Later, or Reddit? They're both free and allow you to save web-links to be read at a later date.

C24

Post by C24 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:32 am

Good morning Chris,
Yours is what I call an answer! It certainly clarifies everything that I raised, thank you. It may amuse you to know that when searching for answers before asking I saw a Goose posting 'FC Tours'. Good old Goose, I thought, I'll just have a whizz around the w/site and find out myself without bothering anyone! Well...

I think that I will leave Read It Later and Reddit 'til another time and go back to the old system - an old man, piece of paper, a pencil and a dog. I started a Facebook account some years ago and then decided to go out for a walk and only resurrected it over Xmas.

Please take a look - F T Barbera Room, I would appreciate your opinion [and any other come to that]

regards
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Return to “Fighter Control and Forum Technical Information”