Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Changes to the UK Heads Up, Movements & OTT section access

A forum for us to keep you informed on the latest updates on the FC website and forums.
andrewn

Re: Changes to the UK Heads Up, Movements & OTT section acce

Post by andrewn » Thu May 05, 2016 9:39 pm

I fully support this initiative. 5 posts is not a high bar. On one well known aircraft modellers forum you have to have 100 posts in other sections in order to post in Buy or Sell. Now that's restrictive!

However I do have some empathy with those who choose not to post because of fear of ridicule. And bad attitude from forumites and power crazy mods has certainly spolit another well known aviation forum (imo) :)

redhead

Post by redhead » Fri May 06, 2016 6:48 pm

yes that's why I don't post to much, I fear of been ridiculed at times it feels like a private forum but that's my opinion.

Apollo

Post by Apollo » Fri May 06, 2016 7:32 pm

Maybe introduce a "thanks" button as well?
Sent from my goredly stained keyboard.

rh226

Post by rh226 » Fri May 06, 2016 7:58 pm

Apollo wrote:Maybe introduce a "thanks" button as well?
No, my friend, that is being lazy.

It means a lot more to the provider of the information if you actually put your thanks into words in a post. It shows that you really appreciate it. Otherwise, it conveys the impression that you were not really bothered whether you got the information or not.

At least, that is my feeling on the matter. If I were the recipient of a "push-button" thank you from someone, I would be very tempted to cease providing specific information to that someone.
Cheers, Bob

Apollo

Post by Apollo » Fri May 06, 2016 9:23 pm

rh226 wrote:
Apollo wrote:Maybe introduce a "thanks" button as well?
No, my friend, that is being lazy.

It means a lot more to the provider of the information if you actually put your thanks into words in a post. It shows that you really appreciate it. Otherwise, it conveys the impression that you were not really bothered whether you got the information or not.

At least, that is my feeling on the matter. If I were the recipient of a "push-button" thank you from someone, I would be very tempted to cease providing specific information to that someone.
So by your own logic you were lazy by clicking the QUOTE button? :whistle:

rh226

Post by rh226 » Fri May 06, 2016 9:34 pm

On the contrary, the "Quote" button is to facilitate copying a previous post(or extracts from it) to which one's reply is relevant.

My usage of the button is not being lazy, but assists the reader to see exactly to what (and to whom) I am replying. :halo:
Cheers, Bob

Apollo

Post by Apollo » Fri May 06, 2016 10:06 pm

rh226 wrote:On the contrary, the "Quote" button is to facilitate copying a previous post(or extracts from it) to which one's reply is relevant.

My usage of the button is not being lazy, but assists the reader to see exactly to what (and to whom) I am replying. :halo:
Are you an MP? :D

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sat May 07, 2016 8:32 am

MPs don't provide informative and complete answers - Bob did! :lol:

Tronk 11

Post by Tronk 11 » Sat May 07, 2016 4:36 pm

I have to admit I don't like having to meet a criteria to post. You may have to post with absolutely no substance to keep seeing things, so may have pages of dross to plough through for some simple movements!
I understand you get hangars on, but they pass by after a while.

Miket1968

Post by Miket1968 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:08 pm

Hi,

On Sunday May 8th I posted a message in the UK Heads up, movements section entitled US Army R1017 detailing a B300 overflying the UK. This post and associated messages seems to have been deleted as I can no longer find it on the forum.

Please can you explain what has happened to the post?

Thanks
Mike

TB1

Post by TB1 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:45 pm

Mike,

I have found some posts made by you on Sunday tagged on to the post from Saturday entitled 13-00282 Be350.

Is that the one?

Trevor

Miket1968

Post by Miket1968 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:50 pm

Hi Trevor,

No, that was a different aircraft which flew over the UK just prior to R1017.

Thanks for looking though.

Mike

rh226

Post by rh226 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:58 pm

Mike,

I agree with you, because I contributed to your thread. Amongst other posts, I was speculating as to whether it had been given a military serial of 07-61017. And it was subsequently posted on that thread that it had been so serialled.
Cheers, Bob

Miket1968

Post by Miket1968 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi rh226,

That's right and I remember the confirmation of the military serial being worn as well.

Thanks
Mike

ginster37

Post by ginster37 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:24 pm

I have just joined and found the restriction of access. This is my first and possibly my last post ever on the internet, as i do not use any social media at all, what i wanted was to have access to the large ammount of information from knowlegable people. like i said this is my only post so there will be no replys

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:26 pm

It's your loss, mate - not ours !
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

SamP
Administrator

Post by SamP » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:30 pm

ginster37 wrote:I have just joined and found the restriction of access. This is my first and possibly my last post ever on the internet, as i do not use any social media at all, what i wanted was to have access to the large ammount of information from knowlegable people. like i said this is my only post so there will be no replys
1 post down, 4 to go! Then you'll have full access of the whole forum.

However, if that's really going to remain your attitude then I'm inclined to agree with Mike.

POL

Post by POL » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:50 pm

First and last post, but took the time to set a signature and a location. How very odd.

grahamdevizes

Post by grahamdevizes » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:46 pm

As a former member of the now (almost ) dead in the water Farnborough Aviation Group forum, I can understand why some members feel the way they do about a minimum post count criterion. The forum owner on the old FAB group was always complaining about non-posting members and would implement fresh rules about access and minimum post counts every five minutes. I was kicked out of that forum along with hundreds of other members for being "dead wood" which meant I had posted less than five times in the previous couple of months. Charming.....

From the ashes of that forum three new ones sprang up, and whilst the old FAB forum soldiers on with around a dozen regular posters ( it once had a membership of more than 2,500), all three new ones are thriving. Myself and the moderator of the old FAB forum started our own forum and from the word go, we decided there would be no minimum posts counts, draconian moderation or half baked ideas about how the forum should be run ( and I'm certainly not saying any of this applies to FCG!).

We have around 550 visitors each day, most I'm sure like to read what's on offer, many are older lads who have impaired mobility and rely upon the forum for their daily fix of all things aviation. These lads have nothing to post - airshow reports, movement logs and similar are posted pretty quickly by those in attendance so these boys like to read what's happening around them. The fact that 500+ look at us every day, as well as the signed on members is wonderful; some I'm sure will take info from us and it may well appear on other forums but we can't possibly know how much. We benefit equally from info from other forums which is then reposted on ours. In the 18 months since we began, we have had three incidences of spammers, all of which have been reported by members and dealt with accordingly. I don't believe it's a huge issue.

This is not a criticism of FCG in any shape or form. But not all of us are spring chickens, some of us can't get out and about and I think that the amount of members you are likely to p*** off by introducing minimum post counts to be able to access all areas here is of far more consideration than some bloke flogging ten quid Rolexes.
You can find me and 600 other enthusiasts at http://aviationforall.proboards.com

rh226

Post by rh226 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:42 pm

Graham,

I agree in principle with what you have said. However, please bear in mind that the whole purpose of both forums is to exchange information, i.e. to give and to receive. Is it so unreasonable to ask that new members contribute something first, before they have full access? I'm afraid that the "Take, Take, Take" attitude does not sit very well with me. Remember the biblical saying "Cast thy bread upon the waters, for you shall find it after many days" (i.e. after 5 posts in FC's case).

I can only quote what I posted earlier in this thread, but it should be extended to cover people (such as those you cited) who want their daily fix of things aviation, but believe (I think mistakenly) that they have nothing to contribute:-
However, if such members do have the time to log in to the Forum and read everything, they should also have the time to be able to log into, and casually monitor, radar tracking apps (like adsbexchange.com) and then, who knows, they might even be able to contribute something pertinent. I do not think that they really can hide behind the "I haven't got the time or the equipment" argument. There must be a lot of members who have to allocate their time between work, family, pleasure, hobby, etc and manage quite successfully to achieve the right balance.
Just consider, if the posters should hold back to let someone else post, things would be very quiet and the forum would probably collapse. God forbid!!!

Regards,

Bob

Return to “Fighter Control and Forum Technical Information”