Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

New larger image size uploads

A forum for us to keep you informed on the latest updates on the FC website and forums.
Richard B

New larger image size uploads

Post by Richard B » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:39 pm

Other forums such as the Canon Forums, Fred Miranda, SPTA, UKAR and Scramble all allow larger sizes and there was a forum modification released three months ago which can now allow us to raise our photo size limit on the forums and not disrupt the viewing of our lower resolution viewers.

The new bigger image limits will be implemented over the next week.

The new maximum resolution for images will be 1200x800.

We have looked at putting the image size up in the past on the old forum, but the free hosting forum we had would not allow us do it; now the forum is phpBB3 driven and hosted on a paid for server we can install the relevent modifications to allow it. This modification will resize the image for lower resolution viewers, but show at full size for those whos screens are big enough.

We the team are pretty certain that the new sizes will not cause to many problems and will in time improve your viewing here on Fighter control.

We are not asking everyone to resize, the old 800x600 can still be used and it's up to you what size you want to upload at, we are just giving you all a bit more choice.

Many thanks,
The Fighter Control team.

MikeB
Administrator

Re: New larger image size uploads

Post by MikeB » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:51 pm

The modification is now in place and you can post images upto 1200x800 resolution.

We have set the post limiter to 1200x1200 to allow for portrait images.

Thanks,
Mike

Dunk

Post by Dunk » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:46 am

Tip from Shaggy for posting images at 1200 x res from Photobucket without getting downscaled:
where you click on the upload bit it say's more options click there and highlight the 1 mb file and you can then upload at 1200 if you wish
Dunk

pussyfoot

Post by pussyfoot » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:36 am

Hi (Moderator) Vulcan 558,

Am unable to see/read all of your message clearly due to it being obscured by your large (150x149) avatar.
I'm sure I read somewhere on the forum that avatars should be a maximum of 130x130 (??)

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:29 pm

pussyfoot wrote:Hi (Moderator) Vulcan 558,

Am unable to see/read all of your message clearly due to it being obscured by your large (150x149) avatar.
I'm sure I read somewhere on the forum that avatars should be a maximum of 130x130 (??)
:Oops:
Sorry for the size conflict. just that the Avtar was just carried over from the old forum and you are the 1st to point it out on the new forum.
Anyway i have changed it so all should be well .
cheers Rich.

Newcastle_Paul

Post by Newcastle_Paul » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:12 pm

A quick technical question:

On some of the 1200 res pics I am getting jagged lines. For example, on this post

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1315

The Rafale refuelling probe is jagged, so are the leading edges on the Vulcan. I'm running my monitor at 1580 x 960. Can anyone suggest a reaso/solution for this problem?
I have many toys. Amongst them are a camera and a scanner.

... now with added grip!!!

pikey01

Post by pikey01 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:40 pm

Newcastle_Paul wrote:Can anyone suggest a reaso/solution for this problem?
This seems to be a photobucket problem, rather than a problem with your screen or the forum. Other members have reported photobucket compressing their images after a period of time, not sure if anyone has found a solution yet though?

Dunk

Post by Dunk » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:50 pm

is there a small magnifying glass icon in the top left of the pics? if so you can click this, it might take it to full res, if for some reason its not working.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:58 pm

I can't see any jaggies as posted and enlarged image, and I think its a bit of urban legend that photobucket compress images if you have too many as I have 4036 stored on there and no problems.

CRT with resolution set at 1152x864.

Brian

LN Strike Eagle

Post by LN Strike Eagle » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:58 pm

Looked into this earlier at UKAR, and I think the jaggies (on images resized by the forum) comes down to either a graphics card or maybe a browser issue. I get smooth lines on resized images using IE8, but someone else using IE6 had jaggies on the same photo.

Newcastle_Paul

Post by Newcastle_Paul » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:08 pm

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Looked into this earlier at UKAR, and I think the jaggies (on images resized by the forum) comes down to either a graphics card or maybe a browser issue. I get smooth lines on resized images using IE8, but someone else using IE6 had jaggies on the same photo.
Jaggies not appearing when appearing on my laptop with NVIDIA graphics card so must be down to rubbish card on my PC.

Thanks for all the advice
I have many toys. Amongst them are a camera and a scanner.

... now with added grip!!!

SamP
Administrator

Post by SamP » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:51 pm

where you click on the upload bit it say's more options click there and highlight the 1 mb file and you can then upload at 1200 if you wish
I've been trying to upload some images using the new dimensions but having some problems. When clicking the 1mb icon on Photobucket it selects the blue circle next to it but there is still a grey box highlighting 15'' Screen (800 x 600), there doesn't seem to be a 'save' button to save the settings for 1mb so the only thing you can do is click the small x in the top right-hand corner of the pop up screen. After doing this none of the newly selected settings have saved & everything has just stayed on 800 x 600, anyone got any help/advice??? :unsure:

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:03 pm

I found that didn't work either,so just went with the 1024 size.
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

SamP
Administrator

Post by SamP » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:32 pm

Problem No.2... It wont even selct 1024??? :unsure:

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:58 pm

That's a strange one,can't help-sorry !
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

MikeB
Administrator

Post by MikeB » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:04 pm

Spirit of Kitty Hawk wrote:Problem No.2... It wont even selct 1024??? :unsure:
What browser are you using? - Try using a different browser.

Mike

GreenBat

Post by GreenBat » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:44 pm

Spirit of Kitty Hawk wrote: I've been trying to upload some images using the new dimensions but having some problems. When clicking the 1mb icon on Photobucket it selects the blue circle next to it but there is still a grey box highlighting 15'' Screen (800 x 600), there doesn't seem to be a 'save' button to save the settings for 1mb so the only thing you can do is click the small x in the top right-hand corner of the pop up screen. After doing this none of the newly selected settings have saved & everything has just stayed on 800 x 600, anyone got any help/advice??? :unsure:
I also had this problem of not being able to see a "save" button, to overcome this I changed the screen veiwing size at the bottom right hand side of internet explorer from "100%" to "75%" you should then be able to see the "save" button, click the save button then change back to "100%" on I.E
I did find however, that I am only able to go to 1024 and not 1200 :unsure:

Hope this helps
Cheers :thumb:

MikeB
Administrator

Post by MikeB » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:03 pm

GreenBat wrote: I did find however, that I am only able to go to 1024 and not 1200 :unsure:
Change it to "1MB File Size" to solve that problem, it'll then let you upload any size providing it's smaller than 1MB.

Mike

GreenBat

Post by GreenBat » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:09 pm

MikeB wrote:Change it to "1MB File Size" to solve that problem, it'll then let you upload any size providing it's smaller than 1MB.

Mike
Cheers Mike, that makes sense now! :blush:

SamP
Administrator

Post by SamP » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:52 pm

Cheers Guys, It was the screen res :Oops: :thumb: :thumb:

Return to “Fighter Control and Forum Technical Information”