Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Saturday afternoon wander down the river

Landscapes, Portraits, Sports, anything really as long as it is within the guidelines and not offensive. Please do not post images of civilian aircraft here. We would be grateful for those on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
WorldInFocus

Saturday afternoon wander down the river

Post by WorldInFocus » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:36 pm

Hi All,

Here are some photos I took on this mornings wander done the river and the lake near Taif, Saudi Arabia.

Ruppell's Weaver

Image20181124_004 by Ian Cramman, on Flickr

Image20181124_008 by Ian Cramman, on Flickr

Image20181124_021 by Ian Cramman, on Flickr

Image20181124_086 by Ian Cramman, on Flickr

Dragonfly

Image20181124_018 by Ian Cramman, on Flickr

Monarch Butterfly

Image20181124_024 by Ian Cramman, on Flickr

Image20181124_028 by Ian Cramman, on Flickr

Image20181124_033 by Ian Cramman, on Flickr

Osprey (Male and Female)

Image20181124_046 by Ian Cramman, on Flickr

Image20181124_053 by Ian Cramman, on Flickr

Long Legged Buzzard (I think)

Image20181124_068 by Ian Cramman, on Flickr

Little Green Bee Eater

Image20181124_082 by Ian Cramman, on Flickr

Great Cormorant

Image20181124_097 by Ian Cramman, on Flickr

Image20181124_100 by Ian Cramman, on Flickr

Image20181124_112 by Ian Cramman, on Flickr

Grey Heron

Image20181124_116 by Ian Cramman, on Flickr

Hope you like the pictures.

Ian C

davem

Re: Saturday afternoon wander down the river

Post by davem » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:29 pm

Great images as usual Ian.

As regards the raptor ID, I think the perched ones are Honey Buzzards and although I'm pretty useless at 'foreign' eagles I'd edge towards it being an Eagle species rather than a Long-legged Buzzard on structure and general colour. Do you get Tawny / Steppe Eagles in your area?

All the best,
Dave

dragonchaser

Post by dragonchaser » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:52 pm

You encounter some fantastic wildlife during your wanderings, great post as always. :thumb:

WorldInFocus

Post by WorldInFocus » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:02 pm

davem wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:29 pm
Great images as usual Ian.

As regards the raptor ID, I think the perched ones are Honey Buzzards and although I'm pretty useless at 'foreign' eagles I'd edge towards it being an Eagle species rather than a Long-legged Buzzard on structure and general colour. Do you get Tawny / Steppe Eagles in your area?

All the best,
Dave
HI Dave,

The two perched birds are definitely Honey Buzzard I thought initializing they were the pair of Osprey I had spotted previously but unfortunately are not. We do get Steppe/Tawny Eagles but the size was no where near that of an eagle. I have seen Long Legged Buzzards here before.

Ian C

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:22 pm

Hi Ian,

I'm afraid Dave is correct, they are definitely not Ospreys. Ospreys never have extensive streaking below on their breasts and bellies and would be pure white below and also have a heavy black stripe through the eye.
http://www.wackyroger.com/z-photogaller ... ey0005.jpg
Certainly a species of honey buzzard, of which European is the one that seems to pass through. They are shots of a species I'd be very pleased with to be honest, far more difficult to get near over here than Ospreys.

As for the bird flying away, nearest I would suggest based on the overall dark undersides, wing pattern, the smallish bill and its pattern and dark area around the eye is Black Kite. The tail is never that obviously forked from certain angles. Do you have more from the sequence to try and give a more overall general feeling of shape?

Like the Bee-eater.

WorldInFocus

Post by WorldInFocus » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:34 pm

capercaillie wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:22 pm
Hi Ian,

I'm afraid Dave is correct, they are definitely not Ospreys. Ospreys never have extensive streaking below on their breasts and bellies and would be pure white below and also have a heavy black stripe through the eye.
http://www.wackyroger.com/z-photogaller ... ey0005.jpg
Certainly a species of honey buzzard, of which European is the one that seems to pass through. They are shots of a species I'd be very pleased with to be honest, far more difficult to get near over here than Ospreys.

As for the bird flying away, nearest I would suggest based on the overall dark undersides, wing pattern, the smallish bill and its pattern and dark area around the eye is Black Kite. The tail is never that obviously forked from certain angles. Do you have more from the sequence to try and give a more overall general feeling of shape?

Like the Bee-eater.
Hi Capercaille,

Yeah, I agree they are very different to the Ospreys I spotted the weeks before.

https://flic.kr/p/QjgV7Y

I've never seen Honey Buzzards around Taif, in the 6 years or so I'd been around. A nice addition to the list.

Unfortunately I didn't manage to get more than a quick shot off on the other raptor, he certainly wasn't hanging around once he'd seen me.

Glad you liked the Bee Eater always one of my favourites.

Ian C

Return to “General Photography”