Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Southern Night Sky

Landscapes, Portraits, Sports, anything really as long as it is within the guidelines and not offensive. Please do not post images of civilian aircraft here. We would be grateful for those on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Nighthawk237

Southern Night Sky

Post by Nighthawk237 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:41 pm

My first attempt at trying to photograph a true night sky:

Image on Flickr

Constructive comments much appreciated.

Regards

Paul

garyscott
Location: DONT trust Atoms . . . . they make up everything . .

Re: Southern Night Sky

Post by garyscott » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:57 pm

As a first attempt, must say its absolutely stunning.
What were your settings?

jem60

Post by jem60 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:23 am

Stars are amazing. If you can eliminate light pollution they are stunning. Walking back late one night in South Africa, in the
country, the small town had a power failure. It was black as hell, but the sky was absolutely amazing!!!. It is a memory that I will always count as one of my sightseeing highlights. They always say that the stars are brighter in the southern hemisphere.

Nighthawk237

Post by Nighthawk237 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:33 pm

Many thanks Garyscott. The settings I used were: ISO 6400; f2.8; & 30 second exposure using an EF24-70mm lens at 24mm. I used Photoshop a tad to enhance the brightness & contrast, otherwise the image is as taken.

I so agree with jem about a truly dark sky. It sounds like stating the obvious but when one can eliminate man-made sources of light, the night sky really is dark. However, it doesn't take long for the eye to adjust to take in the Milky Way. We have lost so much with our light pollution here in most of the UK.

Paul

Return to “General Photography”