Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Their Name Liveth Forevermore.

Landscapes, Portraits, Sports, anything really as long as it is within the guidelines and not offensive. Please do not post images of civilian aircraft here. We would be grateful for those on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
The Apprentice

Their Name Liveth Forevermore.

Post by The Apprentice » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi all,

Last week with my school, I visited the First World War battlefields in Ypres, Belgium and on the Somme, France. For me this was my second time visiting and it was even more moving than the first - you can learn anything in a classroom whether it be strategies, numbers or about weapons but nothing quite compares to actually visiting and seeing it for yourself.

We visited the fields themselves, the memorials as well as many of the cemeteries - nothing quite moved me more than seeing the names of the missing upon the Menin Gate and Thiepval and then seeing all of the headstones with no name upon them.

I hope you enjoy this selection of images and they tell the story of both my trip as well as the brave men that fought.

Ypres
1. Hooge Crater Museum (Trench display).

2. Hooge Crater Cemetery.

4. Tyne Cot Cemetery.

7. Langemark German Cemetery.

9. Saint Julien Monument.

10. Ypres - Menin Gate and Town Hall.

The Somme

12. Stood in where the trench line once ran along in Sheffield Park, the cemetery is as far as the Pals Battalion got when they were given the order to 'Walk and Not Run'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTpjOfEgPGk - I would recommend giving this incredibly moving song a listen about the Accrington Pals.

Image'Walk and not run' by Luca Chadwick, on Flickr

13. Theipval.

14. I liked this image as I thought it nicely showed the youth of today walking along where the brave men once did in reflection.

ImageToday's youth - reflection. by Luca Chadwick, on Flickr

The Christmas Truce

Finally, at the Peace Village in Messines is a memorial to the Christmas Truce. This is the only memorial dedicated to that day in the war and was erected as part of a commemoration project in 2014 between my school, Mildenhall College Academy and a German school (Gymnasium Theodor Paderborn).

I really hope these images tell the story!

Luca

Nighthawke

Re: Their Name Liveth Forevermore.

Post by Nighthawke » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Luca - I am heartened to see that the younger generation are moved by such a visit. Only by that emotion can there be any hope that maybe, just maybe, future generations may have an influence on world peace. It needs that genuine empathy and understanding. My wife and I visited Thiepval as part of family tree research. I had no known connection to any of the names but the sheer number of names, each representing a life, reduced me to tears at the often senseless waste of war.

xkekeith

Post by xkekeith » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:53 pm

Excellent post, thank you.
Canon M6, 7D & 7D II

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:42 am

Very good photos of a moving subject.

Interesting about the Christmas Truce memorial.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:50 am

very nice and moving espacially at this time of the year.

and as the sun goes down we will remember them.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:48 pm

This has to be up there with post of the year!

I think you should be looking into trying to get involved with organizations who encourage people like yourself to keep the story alive for future generations!
Arabest,
Geoff.

alain BArtier

Post by alain BArtier » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:17 am

Beautifull post. ;)

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:21 pm

I'm just in the process of planning a trip out in May; you have saved me workin g out where to visit so many thanks.

The grainy, close up effect in picture 9 makes a good one excellent.

Return to “General Photography”