Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

dog otter

Landscapes, Portraits, Sports, anything really as long as it is within the guidelines and not offensive. Please do not post images of civilian aircraft here. We would be grateful for those on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
barrow758

dog otter

Post by barrow758 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:18 pm

lieghton mosses yesterday this male otter came very near to the public hide Image5DMK6542 by kingsown, on FlickrImage5DMK6554 by kingsown, on FlickrImage5DMK6556 by kingsown, on FlickrImage5DMK6560 by kingsown, on FlickrImage5DMK6565 by kingsown, on Flickr

The Phantom

Re: dog otter

Post by The Phantom » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:17 am

Very nice :thumb:

baz1

Post by baz1 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:58 am

The Phantom wrote:Very nice :thumb:
not if you have a fishery :grr:
Comfortably Numb

Ross Forsyth

Post by Ross Forsyth » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:21 pm

Always nice to see Otters in the wild

baz1

Post by baz1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:21 pm

just cost me £9,500. 3 grand of otter fish kills + £6,500 for otter fence to keep the wretched things out they are like foxes in a hen pen and just kill for the sake of it.
Comfortably Numb

Ross Forsyth

Post by Ross Forsyth » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:45 pm

baz1 wrote:just cost me £9,500. 3 grand of otter fish kills + £6,500 for otter fence to keep the wretched things out they are like foxes in a hen pen and just kill for the sake of it.
You can`t really blame a wild animal for being an opportunist,I`m not saying tough luck to you that would be unfair its your business and livelihood but as a wildlife photographer and lover of wild animals it`s great
to see otters back in "their" enviroment.
Osprey hide I use has an otter which visits and despite it being easy game for it it doesn`t seem to run amok like yours has and infact goes several days without returning.

Proteus

Post by Proteus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:08 pm

I am like Baz, I wouldn't want one near my Koi.......

baz1

Post by baz1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:38 pm

Ross Forsyth wrote:
baz1 wrote:just cost me £9,500. 3 grand of otter fish kills + £6,500 for otter fence to keep the wretched things out they are like foxes in a hen pen and just kill for the sake of it.
You can`t really blame a wild animal for being an opportunist,I`m not saying tough luck to you that would be unfair its your business and livelihood but as a wildlife photographer and lover of wild animals it`s great
to see otters back in "their" enviroment.
Osprey hide I use has an otter which visits and despite it being easy game for it it doesn`t seem to run amok like yours has and infact goes several days without returning.
it was the so called do gooders that got them released back into the wild, its a shame fish breeders and fishery owners cant claim compensation for the death and destruction they cause maybe they would think again, a few months back Countryfile did a feature on them, and as well as otters we get Cormorants and Mink :grr:
Comfortably Numb

Freeman Lowell

Post by Freeman Lowell » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:33 pm

You have my sympathy Baz. I know other owners of Koi that have had to give up their collection because of (sea)otters killing for the fun of it.
We have two families of otters in the river running through the town where I live. Fortunately (for us observers) they are very tolerant of humans.
I'm very surprised that the ducks in these photos are so tolerant of the otter. I guess that there are plenty of fish...
Freeman
Sometimes I talk to myself, then we both laugh and laugh.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:48 pm

thanks Freeman, its only in the winter that they come off the main river and into the land drains that run past my fishery and its just the last three years its come to light.when you see fish in excess of 20lb upto 30 half eaton and still alive its deverstating

Baz
Comfortably Numb

Return to “General Photography”