Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

R/C Turbine powered Typhoon test flight 28th May

Landscapes, Portraits, Sports, anything really as long as it is within the guidelines and not offensive. Please do not post images of civilian aircraft here. We would be grateful for those on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
lozza

R/C Turbine powered Typhoon test flight 28th May

Post by lozza » Mon May 29, 2017 10:36 am

Well finally, after two years of building, head scratching and painting and far too much money, I finally got to get a maiden flight done on my latest addition to the jet fleet.
Model is a Comp-arf Eurosport, picked it up off a friend but the model had never flown, what had been installed was rather poor, so I set about stripping it all out and starting fresh.
Added modifications are the working air brake and full scale intakes, it was these two items that created the major headaches, anyway I overcame, added extra details like the camera pod, air to air refuelling cover, night light marker panels.
Radio gear - JR with Savox high end servo's, Demon Cortex gyro, Powerbox dual switch, Jeti batteries for avionic's.
Engine - Jetcat 180RXi turbine downrated to 160 until I know how thirsty it is, full fuel load is 4.4 litres plus hooper tank.
Twin Gaspar afterburner rings.
I painted as a tribute to the D day Hawker Typhoons of WWII, hence the different markings on either side, paint used is Klass Kote, I used a mixture of home made graphic's using my vinyl plotter to make the paint masks and finer graphic's came from Nigel at Flightline graphic's.
Finally thanks to Rob Bennet and Mark Brown for the photo's.
As for the flights, first one was a combination of nerves lol and a very twitchy model, in fact extremely twitchy, but once this has been dialled down a bit it became more manageable, next flight after some ground alterations things became a lot more smoother.

ImageTest flight of my R/C turbine powered Typhoon by Laurie Hughes, on Flickr

Laurie

Morseman

Re: R/C Turbine powered Typhoon test flight 28th May

Post by Morseman » Mon May 29, 2017 11:39 am

Cracking.

tm74sqn

Re: R/C Turbine powered Typhoon test flight 28th May

Post by tm74sqn » Mon May 29, 2017 2:05 pm

Fantastic job, and not cheap on time or money! Photos are good, but the aircraft is really the star.
The jet engine alone must cost around £2,500, and gives about 40 lb of thrust (in old money - not sure about these Newton things).
Would be great to see, and hear, it fly/
Regards, TM74

Return to “General Photography”