Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

7D Mark2 advice please Seaton Wetlands 2017

Landscapes, Portraits, Sports, anything really as long as it is within the guidelines and not offensive. Please do not post images of civilian aircraft here. We would be grateful for those on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Frank the Dog

7D Mark2 advice please Seaton Wetlands 2017

Post by Frank the Dog » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:04 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just after a bit of assistance here please. I'm an old git of a certain age, not a Luddite but more of a technophobe!

I've been using a Canon 500D for the last 6 years, gradually getting back into aviation photography, and this winter I've been practising on birds at the local Wetlands, a 5 minute walk from where I live. The Kingfisher images were all taken on the 500D, and are heavily cropped and not the best focus. However, I was pleased with the satisfaction of waiting and taking a photograph that was unexpected

ImageIMG_9589 by Phil Roberts, on Flickr
ImageIMG_9575 by Phil Roberts, on Flickr
ImageIMG_9574 by Phil Roberts, on Flickr
ImageIMG_9573 by Phil Roberts, on Flickr

After this, I managed to upgrade to a 7D Mark2 and took the following. Some are ok, some are in dodgy light, but what I'm really after is any constructive criticism with regards to using the 7D please. The jump in options, capabilities and quality from the 500D are awesome.

Image0C6A0722 by Phil Roberts, on Flickr
Image0C6A1212 by Phil Roberts, on Flickr
Image0C6A1813 by Phil Roberts, on Flickr

Image0C6A1076 by Phil Roberts, on Flickr

Image0C6A1068 by Phil Roberts, on Flickr
Image0C6A1064 by Phil Roberts, on Flickr
Image0C6A1070 by Phil Roberts, on Flickr
Image0C6A1071 by Phil Roberts, on Flickr
Image0C6A1605 by Phil Roberts, on Flickr
Image0C6A1624 by Phil Roberts, on Flickr
Image0C6A1638 by [urImage0C6A1639 by Phil Roberts, on Flickr
l=https://www.flickr.com/photos/102641715@N06/]Phil Roberts[/url], on Flickr
Image0C6A1661 by Phil Roberts, on Flickr

Any help much appreciated, thanks in advance

Phil
Paddle faster................. I hear banjos !

igorski

Re: 7D Mark2 advice please Seaton Wetlands 2017

Post by igorski » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:46 pm

I've just got a 7D2 as well, and it seems we have the same long lens too. For moving subjects it seems best to use the centre point (or centre plus assist points) rather than the larger areas of auto focus points. I've only taken it out photographing birds the once so that's a just quick impression, but after I settled on the centre point I did seem to get more in focus shots.

I notice some of you shots have quite a high aperture setting (16 on the robin), did you find that helped the sharpness of the lens?
- Andy

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:38 am

I've had a 7d mk2 for a while and quite frankly if you just use the centre point plus assist you are not using the camera to its full potential.

I use back button focusing, one set to 9 point af tracking and one set to single point. The first is for motion ie birds,planes etc in flight and the latter for static.

It took a while to get used to it, but the results are great, I also shoot in burst mode.

The camera is , in my opinion brilliant and coupled with the 100 ..400 mk 2 awesome.

It's 0530 and I'm off out to photograph roe deer .
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

igorski

Post by igorski » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:44 am

deerhunter wrote:if you just use the centre point plus assist you are not using the camera to its full potential.
I dont doubt it, and I have experimented with the other modes for other subjects, just relating my experiences so far.

deerhunter wrote:I use back button focusing, one set to 9 point af tracking and one set to single point.
Is this using C modes on the dial?
- Andy

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:28 pm

Go into the customise menu, you can then set which buttons do what.

I have disabled focusing with the shutter release and reconfigured two of the buttons to focus, you can then pick which focus points, mode you want. There is a you tube video showing how to do it.

Regards

Dave
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

igorski

Post by igorski » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:18 pm

deerhunter wrote:I have disabled focusing with the shutter release and reconfigured two of the buttons to focus
I've already been using back button focusing since before I had the 7D2, but definitely going to try the additional custom controls you've mentioned.
- Andy

Frank the Dog

Post by Frank the Dog » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:05 pm

Thanks for the help chaps, much appreciated. I think the wide aperture was to throw the background out, but it did unexpectedly help with the sharpness. I need to experiment with the back button, it possibly seems the way forward.

Thanks again,

Phil
Paddle faster................. I hear banjos !

Return to “General Photography”