Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

London Night Shoot with a Point & Shoot *UPDATE 2~23Mar17*

Landscapes, Portraits, Sports, anything really as long as it is within the guidelines and not offensive. Please do not post images of civilian aircraft here. We would be grateful for those on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Pen Pusher

London Night Shoot with a Point & Shoot *UPDATE 2~23Mar17*

Post by Pen Pusher » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:07 pm

I didn’t think my usual technique for hand holding/low shutter speed/low ISO night shooting would apply to using my Sony Cyber-shot RX1RMII as the camera and lens do not have built in stabilisation. Reviews of the camera say that hand holding at low shutter speeds are not advisable, challenge accepted but not this time, and went a bimbling in the dark around the central London touristy spots to see what I could come up with. Only real downside to the camera is the battery. It’s small and doesn’t last very long, around 120 images in the real world is quoted, although I had been shooting in very cold conditions and that doesn’t help battery life and using uncompressed RAW the file size goes from approximately 41Mb to 81Mb which was eating up battery power and card space as well.

Taken over several visits as it kept raining, even though it wasn’t forecast. Some on tripod, some hand held, some RAW, some Jpeg.

Big Ben........
.....Lego Ben.

Brian
Last edited by Pen Pusher on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gyvespa

Re: London Night Shoot with a Point & Shoot.

Post by gyvespa » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:35 pm

Excellent pictures.

I was really impressed by them, especially as they were taken with a 'Point and Shoot' camera.
So I googled it.
That's quite a pricey little camera.
I used to have a Sigma DP1, it took very impressive pics but there was a steep learning curve.
I might just have to save up !

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:05 pm

What a great set Brian in all respects - composition, lighting and colour - every one a winner for me. More inspiration for a day or two in the capital.

Magpie

Post by Magpie » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:39 pm

Beautifull set, really enjoyable.
SD2000N & D-777 | Ecoflex 10 | BPFs | Pre-amps | Airspy | SDR#

Richelli

Post by Richelli » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:44 pm

Nice photos. Well captured.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:27 pm

As per normal for your London Brimbles, yet another cracking set of shots. As I have said before I always look forward to your
posts of trips to the capital

warferry

Post by warferry » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:48 am

You have really got the hang of this photo lark, thanks Brian, I always enjoy your run- rounds.

eagle1

Post by eagle1 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:10 pm

BRIlliant work BRIan. Every 1 a gem :thumb:

Many thanks for sharing

Cheers

Martin
Uniden UBC125XLT/Roof top aerial
Yupiteru MVT5000
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Canon EF-S 55-250
Sigma 150-600 C
Plane Plotter
360 Radar

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

https://www.flickr.com/photos/martin_a/

Contrail1958

Post by Contrail1958 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:55 am

Superb Brian as always I look forward to your bimbles. Cheered me up no end.
Please keep em coming. :thumbs:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:00 pm

19Mar17
Another Sunday evening in London, hotel rooms are cheaper, and I wanted to get some night shots before the clocks changed. During my last couple of visits I had intended heading into the city after bimbling around the central touristy bits but it always started raining so this time I went straight into the city and then headed back along the south bank of the Thames towards the touristy bits. Only downside of going into the city on a Sunday is that the place is closed, nice that there are not a lot of people getting into shot, but places like Lloyds of London and the Leadenhall Building are not lit up as as they would be during the working week.

Hand held and I was using walls, lampposts, bollards and other street furniture to support the camera for low shutter speed shots and yes you’ve guessed it, by 9pm the rain that wasn’t forecast arrived.

Sony Cyber-shot RX1RMII

Brian

Buccaneer

Re: London Night Shoot with a Point & Shoot - *UPDATED 19Mar

Post by Buccaneer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:21 pm

Brian,

used to love looking at your excellent shots but now all I get is a load of rotating circled which finally turn into the word image, same on your dinosaur thread which I have tried every day since it appeared, do I have to join something now to see them? The first part of this thread was good but even they now appear (or rather not) in the same way?

cheers Jeff

garyscott
Location: DONT trust Atoms . . . . they make up everything . .

Post by garyscott » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:55 pm

Bucc, they show up fine for me :S .

Brian, lovely shots as usual. :thumb:

Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:12 am

Gary,

thanks for info, still the same for me, weird never had this problem before, no new software added, all the other threads are fine.................................

Jeff

Update......when I say no new software didn't even think about the latest Firefox update which seems to be the problem as when I look at his thread with Opera it's not an issue, all pics appear ok. So may have to uninstall Firefox and start again.

p.s great pics as usual (now I can see them) Brian, especially the dinosaurs.............

cheers Jeff

Supra

Post by Supra » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:02 pm

Brilliant images Brian & further proof of your wonderful ability to extract the maximum from any situation. :thumb:
Looking forward to tonight's additions, albeit born out of recent sad events.

markranger

Post by markranger » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:13 pm

Very Nice
Nikon D850
Nikon D600
Nikon D500
Nikon 300 F2.8 VR1

Pen Pusher

Re: London Night Shoot with a Point & Shoot *UPDATE 2~23Mar1

Post by Pen Pusher » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:43 pm

23Mar17
With the RAF Northolt Night Shoot still advertised on Wednesday as still going ahead on Thursday, I took the precaution of quickly forming a 'Plan B' should it be cancelled due to increased security, following the fatalities at Westminster on Wednesday, while I was traveling down to London on Thursday as I had a cheap hotel room that was pre-paid with a no cancellation clause. I was on the train on the outskirts of London when the night shoot was cancelled. So Plan B it was. Didn't quite go to plan as I was going to do a bit of a mini night shoot around the memorials and statues at Hyde Park and Marble Arch. The two memorials I was after were the Animals In War on Park Lane and the Bomber Command Memorial but both were not lit up although there was enough street lighting to salvage some shots of the Animals In War Memorial. I actually started in Trafalgar Square, an eerily quiet Trafalgar Square as all traffic around it had been stopped for the candlelight vigil that had taken place earlier that evening to show solidarity with London attack victims. The crowds were slowly dispersing and the foreign TV crews were packing up. I walked up The Mall, stopping off at The National Memorial to the Queen Mother, and then onto Buckingham Palace and then along Constitution Hill to Hyde Park and the Australian War Memorial and Wellington Arch. Then up Park Lane to the Animals In War Memorial and then onto Marble Arch for the 6 tonne, 27 feet tall bronze Marwari Horse Head sculpture and the 'Danse Gwenedour' flying figures that were only unveiled to the public on March 11th this year. In the order taken.

Sony Cyber-shot RX1RMII

Brian

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:34 pm

Brilliant results as ever Brian. I just love the light in these night images. The Trafalgar Square shots really tell the story for me.

Supra

Post by Supra » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:54 pm

As predicted, another great addition from 'Night-shootmeister'!
Well done Brian on the 'Plan B' option. I had no idea on the size of the "6 tonne, 27 feet tall bronze Marwari Horse Head sculpture" until I re-read your preamble. Having Googled-it, I still smile as they resolutely hang-on to 'Imperial' measurements....it's 6 (metric) Tonnes, but 27 Feet tall ( 8.23 metres). Somewhat similar to buying 3.6metres of 4x2 (inches) timber? :roll:

Return to “General Photography”