Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Metropolitan 1 on the Mid Norfolk Railway

Landscapes, Portraits, Sports, anything really as long as it is within the guidelines and not offensive. Please do not post images of civilian aircraft here. We would be grateful for those on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
XWP29

Metropolitan 1 on the Mid Norfolk Railway

Post by XWP29 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:59 pm

Tucked away in Dereham the Mid Norfolk Railway line heads roughly south towards Wymondham. Well worth a visit, and although not as famous as the North Norfolk Railway, it does have a longer distance railway journey. With lovely old station's along the way, now used as charming abodes.
This line introduced occasional steam running in recent year and on occasion is a good place to catch "guest" locomotives. One on my list to see and record is Metropolitan 1. Built at Neasden in 1898, this is the Loco than hauled the special underground trains celebrating the 150th underground anniversary in 2013.
Here's three photo's from the day.
Image2016_07_24_5096 (1) by XWP29, on Flickr
Image2016_07_24_5113 by XWP29, on FlickrImage2016_07_24_5068 by XWP29, on Flickr
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Nighthawke

Re: Metropolitan 1 on the Mid Norfolk Railway

Post by Nighthawke » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:05 pm

Ohhh! Wish I'd known about that - lovely shots of a lovely loco.

hughgibson

Post by hughgibson » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:48 pm

Too far for me to travel for a day out but nice shots.Nice looking loco.

rh226

Post by rh226 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:15 pm

This thread makes me feel old on two counts:-

1.) I used to pass Neasden regularly during the very late '50s (trips to London with Dad) and probably saw this locomotive with its LT running number - unless it was holed up on the Chesham Branch.

2.) I actually travelled Norwich - Dereham twice when the line was operational - when I was going to Swanton Morley to do my cadet Gliding Certificate. The April 1966 weather was dire and only one cadet out of about 20 managed to accumulate enough launches to warrant going solo!! But, in April 1967, I was invited back to try again and became the first one they got solo that year!! The Welsh Sqdn Ldr in the CGS presented me with a (cut) daffodil to mark the occasion!! :S :S.

Memories, memories......

Anyway, I'm going up to Mildenhall in August for a stay and must find the time to get up to Dereham or Wymondham to see this line again.... and experience again the old chug, chug (and exhaust smuts on the face) of the steam-hauled trains.
Cheers, Bob

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:44 pm

Great shots :thumbs:

I am old enough to have travelled on it as a nipper (no cars in those days) :whistle:

We went to such wondrous places as Hunstanton (what a trek) and Wells :thumb:

The old J16s would puff away, eventually being replaced first by Derby Lightweight DMUs, then Metro Cammell DMUs :)

Great memories :thumb:

Must get over to Dereham for a trip soon :O

Thanks for sparking some long-buried memories :blush:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Return to “General Photography”