Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Visiting Scampton in 2014? Please read!

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Scampton here
flyingslug_0

Visiting Scampton in 2014? Please read!

Post by flyingslug_0 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:18 am

Hi all, with the Reds celebrating their 50th year, 2014 may see a lot of visitors at RAF Scampton. Over the last couple of months, regulars have been privileged to see the team train for the upcoming display season. However conflicting reports have been reported about standing at point C ( http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk ... ampton.php).

I have been talking to the farmer who lives in the farm house about people wanting to walk around the field to get to point C. The following is the official views about how they feel and what they expect from visitors.

1) The farmer on the whole is happy for people to use the field so long as people walk round the sides and don't damage any crops. All rubbish is to be taken home and if people smoke, then their discarded cigarettes should be picked up and taken away with them.

2) No Dogs

3) If possible he would like people to ask him if they can use the field, Just in case they plan to work on the field.

If the Landowner turns up!!

The landowner is dead against ANYONE using the field. If he sees you, you will be asked to leave pure and simple!!!!

Its a shame that the land owner is against people using the field, I've always got on well with him but this year he has had a change of heart. I'm afraid if he says GO then that's it.

Hope every one respects the landowners wishes, if you are asked to leave then do so and find another spot. The base offers some very good locations for photography that won't upset anyone.

Regards

Craig

RedsSnapper

Re: Visiting Scampton in 2014? Please read!

Post by RedsSnapper » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:07 pm

Point C now has a high fence rather than the old low wooden one, doesn't it? It certainly looked that way when I was there last week in any event.

One further note on this - it was noted last week that there was lots of rubbish discarded around the parking area by the landing lights at the opposite end. If you're there and spot rubbish lying about, could you take a moment just to gather it up and dispose of it, I'm sure nobody on here would have left it in the first place, but if we make the effort to tidy up after those with less decency than ourselves it reduces the chance of the farmer objecting to us parking and accessing from there. :)

scotty2681

Post by scotty2681 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:25 pm

I have had a run in with said farmer last year and when Lewis Hamilton had his F1 car there and he was racing RED 10. He had a "talk" with me about parking on the verge which was fair enough he's not the nicest of blokes to deal with, This was the first time in 14 years I'd seen him up there. I usually park at E and walk between the 2 fences to get to C but I didn't that day as was quite excited with the F1 car being there plus I wasn't the only one parked there some Raf lads were there as well I've never have any other problems up there. I have noticed lately at the 04 end or K people are taking there cars right up the field between the landing lights I'm not sure if these are regulars or new people but it must cause a distraction when the pilots are landing.
Flying Slug I don't think its the farmer who lives in that house as it just rented off him my mate does a lot of work for said farmer. Its still polite to ask just watch out for an old chap in a Honda CRV with a big lens not sure if he's a member on here, he thinks he's security and was having a go at some people who had just stopped to watch for a few minutes this old chap seems to think its ok to park in passing places but has ago at people who stand under the landing lights I politely told him to go away a few weeks ago.

RedsSnapper

Post by RedsSnapper » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:17 pm

I've been at K a few times of late and have to say that when I've been there I've only seen cars parked on the field just off the edge of the track. I'll definitely watch out for the chap with the CR-V though - thanks for that warning.

C-Harvey

Post by C-Harvey » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:02 pm

Agree with Craig and taking rubbish home seems a smart idea.
During a three hour period at Scampton, about ten days ago, there passed me on the back road a convoy of four Lincolnshire traffic cars; probably ten to twelve passenger cars in both directions; two police dog cars; an MOD security truck; a farm tractor/trailer; an MOD security van following four joggers; a forty foot artic; a tilt lorry, who stopped and we watched the Reds; a farmland spray tractor; a Scampton villager who generally passes the time of day; and a man on a bike. More or less typical traffic for the road in my experience.
Apart from being illegal, leaving a vehicle in a passing place has never been an option for me.
Some years/months ago, the MOD police at Lakenheath Mildenhall introduced a system of security watchers. It may still be in operation, it struck me as a good move anyway.
This Tuesday, see thread in this section, the reds were prevented from operating fromScampton for about four hours due to unexploded ordnance near the runway.
In this time of car bombs, leaving a vehicle under the approach/departure is not the brightest move. It is also a potential hazard should an a/c system failed during practise.
Some would/do disagree with me.
The other view of recent events from an old man
Always happy to talk, with anybody, if there is nothing flying. :roll:
Remember; learn by rote. ;-)

Return to “RAF Scampton”