Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

red arrows training area

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Scampton here
grimly aviation pics

red arrows training area

Post by grimly aviation pics » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:06 pm

Hey guys i hear that the reds dnt reherse over scampton where do they train in the area ?

LincsVRS

Re: red arrows training area

Post by LincsVRS » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:37 pm

The only area they use regularly as far as I know is R313 their restricted airspace up to 9500MSL approx 5nm Radius from Scampton Tower. Sometimes they may practice towards one side of it, a few people often thing they are outside R313 when they do it but most of the time they are in there. A week or so ago they practised in the Scampton Stub outside R313 but I cant remember what day or what the circumstances were now. They have done the odd practice over Waddington & Cranwell before but its usually NOTAMED or with more permanency.

I'm happy to be proved wrong on this occasion though if anyone can come in with any info regarding today. I had my head in other things so might have missed mentions of it.

grimly aviation pics

Post by grimly aviation pics » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:42 pm

Mite b thick where is r313

LincsVRS

Post by LincsVRS » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:00 am

R313 is an area of restricted airspace from ground level to 9,500ft MSL at a Radius of 5nm round Scampton Tower. So it's like a big cylinder on top of RAF Scampton. As it is restricted airspace any pilot wishing to fly through it needs to be cleared to do so. This area is for the Red Arrows to practice in. If they were to practice or display anywhere else this would normally be published to Pilots via NOTAM (Notice To Airmen) message. Hope that explains it, feel free to ask if not.

LincsVRS

Post by LincsVRS » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:04 am

Some of the villages on the border of this airspace are Reepham to the South East, Normanby-by-Spital in the North East, Glentworth to the North, Skellinghthorpe to the South West and to the South it nearly gets to Dixon street on the High Street in Lincoln. Hopefully this will give you a more practical idea of how far this airspace extends locally.

Return to “RAF Scampton”