Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Red Arrows base visit

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Scampton here
kevshore

Red Arrows base visit

Post by kevshore » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:52 pm

I've been invited to go on a visit to Scampton tomorrow, looking around the aircraft etc. Anyone been on one of these visits? I'm curious as to what camera gear they will let me take in. Also what the visit usually includes?

Kev.

Gary
Administrator

Re: Red Arrows base visit

Post by Gary » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:54 pm

I did a tour back in 2007 and i'm lucky to be going again on the 21st February.

Last time i went we got in the hangar with the spare aircraft in, sat in on the pre flight meeting. Then went outside to watch them taxi out and depart. One jet returned shortly after with a bird strike. The bird made a mess :lol:

We also got to tour part of Scampton including N*ggers grave ( are we allowed to say his name... Am i going to hell for saying it :lol: )
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

kevshore

Post by kevshore » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:13 pm

Thanks Gary. Did they allow camera's etc in?

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:37 pm

Yeah they did, here's my mates shots from the day http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesv9820 ... 727178331/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't take photos so couldn't tell you want you need. But a big lens for flightline stuff would be a benefit.

kevshore

Post by kevshore » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:42 pm

Thanks for the link Gary. It has given me some idea as to what I will take. :)

Kev.

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:06 am

No problem, glad to help.

Could you post what sort of things you do on the tour, see if it changed. Will give me an idea what to expect on the 21st :thumb:

kevster

Post by kevster » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:23 pm

I went back in 2005 and was allowed everything in my arsenal at the time, including 50-500mm for taking shots of the display practice. During my trip I was in the presence of Flt Lt Jez Griggs, Flt Lt Dunc Mason and Sqn Ldr Dicky Patounas all of whom were very friendly and plenty of banter going about.

AGL30391

Post by AGL30391 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:45 pm

I went on one of these visits in 2009 and it was brilliant.

Go and look round the spare aircraft in the hangar, watch a video on the history of the team, then upstairs to meet the incredible people that fly the planes. Sit in on the pre-sorti briefing, then as they depart the room for the planes, a quick dash in a minibus over to the control tower where we were treated to a personal display. Then back up to the briefing room to watch the display back and see how they analyse the video (only then do you see how they arent always perfect!!!). Then on to lunch and a chat with the team, before they go out to do the afternoon sorti as we left the base. A thoroughly enjoyable day! This happened to be the day they flew as a 9 ship for the first time with that particular team, being so early in the year, unfortunately, you might not get this! Whatever it entails, im sure you'll enjoy it!

tg13

Post by tg13 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:56 pm

What is the "spare" hangar you refer to...you've lost somebody that is there...quite regularly????

kevshore

Post by kevshore » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:59 pm

Had a great time. :D I was amazed to hear that they have a 3 year waiting list for these trips!! :Wow: No flying today, due to ice on the runway. But it gave the team chance to come and mingle with us for half an hour or so. A genuinely nice bunch of blokes (Kirsty wasn't there) and happy to discuss anything with us.
I came away a bit humbled and felt for the team, after what they have been through the last 6 months. It all made them seem more human if that makes sense? I've always respected the team, but that respect has gone up a few levels today.
I doubt that they will see this, but a big thank you from me.

Kev.

elkingo1973

Post by elkingo1973 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:17 am

Sounds like a great day Kev. Did you write/email to get onto the list? I'm very jealous!
T x

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:04 am

elkingo1973 wrote:Sounds like a great day Kev. Did you write/email to get onto the list? I'm very jealous!
T x

You can contact the CRO and they will send you a form i believe.

I was on a base tour last week and the lady who showed us around (minds gone blank can't remember her name) mentioned closing the list for a while to try and get through some of the 2 to 3 year backlog. So if anyone wants to do the tour i would contact the team asap or you'll be waiting for a while even to get on the list.

The tour's run through the winter training period

elkingo1973

Post by elkingo1973 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:23 pm

Thanks Gary. I think I'll send them a letter ASAP.

elkingo1973

Post by elkingo1973 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:15 am

Hi Guys
I emailed Red Arrows Press Office and got a response to say 'the list' was now closed for the base visits at Scampton. They're going to clear the 3 year back log before opening the list again and to just keep checking the website to see when we can apply again.
Thanks
Tina x

Return to “RAF Scampton”