Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Don't listen to Paul the weather man !

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Scampton here
Rhubarb

Don't listen to Paul the weather man !

Post by Rhubarb » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:29 am

Well I had a days holiday left so I watched Look North for the forcast ! Clearing cloud and drisel from the west but unfortunately not till 14:30 in real timem :unsure: So went to Scampton hoping to see the F.N.G.s "coming right now tightening" ! Parked by the old A15 crash gate on the field as i have done for twenty years :whistle: No one else in site but by the time I had got the coffee out a polite man in a S.U.V. came to move me very politely to the viewing area :grr: not a good start to the day ! However at least he was pleasant unlike at Linton in the past. Things are a whole lot different now in the last few years. More "nervous" I would describe it. That said a four ship of hawks eventually spooled up at 12:00 for low go around's at Scampton, Coningsby and Waddo generally breaking their and my boardam. We had a little trouble it seems with the good old Burgess beefy type micro switch on one wing leg on red 4 or was it 5 ? All was locked fortunately no matter what the lights said it seems :D Perhaps someone can tell me why to my knowledge the aviation designers don't want to use proxsisters on undercarts. Industry have used them for precise positioning for years ? They then got the spaners out so I went to Waddo. Now't happenig there though. One reds LGA, one spy beech king in and another pushed out of the hangar ! Has Mrs May cut the jet a1 budget again ? So several sardine paste and cucumber sandwiches later, went back to Scampton for the 15:30 slot. Thankfully the blues had fixed the micoswich so we had a five ship. Not bad you FNGs, its coming on nicely :thumb: So there's my report for the day ! Some what padded out as would any hack to try and make some interest :D Till the next four gallons of diesel then ! Cheers all. :thumbs:
"A Rhubarb" is a sortie of opportunity !

C24

Re: Don't listen to Paul the weather man !

Post by C24 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:05 am

And were they

"Holding the Bank..." ?

Thursday looks promising but very gusty

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/wea ... 2017-11-23

At least you saw some action :D
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

reheat module

Re: Don't listen to Paul the weather man !

Post by reheat module » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:28 am

"Tiiiiiiiiiiiightning"
Must admit, low flying at Scampton due to bad weather yesterday, standard dearth of tumbleweed and inactivity at Waddington, and Coningsby on night flying this week, there are maybe better airfields to visit.
Especially as the price of diesel is creeping up again...
Never trust a weatherman.
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

Return to “RAF Scampton”