Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Parking at Scampton

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Scampton here
scotty2681

Parking at Scampton

Post by scotty2681 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:27 pm

Heard today from a friend of mine who does work for the farmer who owns the land at the 22 end at Scampton. He is going to erect a fence and gates at the end of the road to the farmhouse to stop people parking all over his field and walking up to the fence through his crops. Everyday this week I have seen at least 6 cars parked under the landing lights at this end. It seems a few lazy people are going to spoil it for us regulars who park with consideration, its very distracting for the pilots and also dangerous. I would love to hear the phone calls to there insurance company if a Hawk happened to land on there car while they are parked in the field. :roll: :grr:

Lincoln Imp

Re: Parking at Scampton

Post by Lincoln Imp » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:49 am

Surprised it has taken the farmer this long to do something about it really

When I was there last week there were 3 cars parked totally blocking access to his farmhouse
No need to park there as you can just go up the road a bit and park then walk back to the fence

Same as most things in life though ,There is always a few that spoil it for the masses

RedsSnapper

Post by RedsSnapper » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:34 pm

Quite honestly? Good for him. It absolutely grips my wotsit when we regularly see people trampling across the fields at EITHER end - there's no need for it - at both ends there are perfectly simple solutions which get you to where you need to be without crossing over the field at all, and frankly if you're too lazy a barsteward to walk a few extra yards then go and park in the official viewing enclosure and stop ruining the reputation of the rest of us. The slack-jawed reaction I've (and others!) had when politely explaining to people what the alternatives are go a long way to indicating the root of the problem however. Same goes for the muppets who climb the fence/gate at the 04 end. This is like a repeat of what happened last year, timing and all.

PLEASE people, remember - this man has an absolute and unquestionable right to ask any one of us to leave his land at any given time. For the most part he is incredibly patient and decent with us, but that will only go so far, and once he finally snaps, we will ALL be reduced to the viewing enclosure and limited (and limiting) other spots around the perimeter.

C24

Post by C24 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:08 am

Sadly this happens every year as the Reds become more know for their training time.

The 04 new gates were partially blocked by a vehicle when I drove past several days ago; the crash gate at 22 end was also partially blocked by another car on the same morning. A couple of days later a Range Rover was parked next to the lights at the 22 fence with two more cars on the field.
Trying to explain the situation to the people generally results in an abusive response. It is a losing battle but well worth trying to educate casual viewers.
As stated above, there are plenty of places to park with only a short walk round the headlands to find a viewing spot.

That rant over, another winter session completed successfully for the Team. Many hours of fun watching them sweat. I wish them good fortune during their time in Greece and look fwd to their safe return in May.

:D
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Return to “RAF Scampton”