Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

FSX Frame Rate Acceleration - Textures (it works)

For all your questions and answers regarding FS2004 (FS9) and FSX.
If you have problems, post them here....
RichC

FSX Frame Rate Acceleration - Textures (it works)

Post by RichC » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:13 pm

As my system was rather slow on frame rates on FSX with the scenery turned up and trees etc i thought i would try different global textures.

Instead of using the default DXT7 textures, i have replaced them with DXT1 textures.
Quality of the scenery stays pretty much the same, infact i have noticed no difference at all.

When i had my scenery turned up to Dense and my Autogen to Very Dense, i was only getting between 4 and 8fps. I would gain around 9-12fps if i turned my scenery to Sparse.
Now with the DXT1, i have Dense Scenery and Very Dense Autogen together with the frame rate hogging Full 100% ships and leisure craft etc i am getting between 12 and 24fps depending on the scenery levels, full water etc.

It definately adds around 8-10fps more and in some cases, up to 20fps more than you usually get.

I have NOT seen any change in quality over the default textures. DXT1 loads quicker and pretty much the same quality.
It works for me anyway, im now enjoying (mostly) a stutter free flight in all aircraft with scenery (in general) around 80%.

If you lower the global textures slider to mid point or 3/4 point it adds an extra 3-4fps more again....

http://www.mileswebsolutions.com/FSXTex ... ion/#files" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RichC

Re: FSX Frame Rate Acceleration - Textures (it works)

Post by RichC » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:25 pm

Oh i forgot, make sure you do what it says in the Readme and back up your original files in the various folders it states.
Works out to be around a few GB of data to backup (just incase you need to revert back).

It will NOT work if you have UTX or REX though or any kind of third party scenery enhancers.
I have HORIZON scenery and it works fine.

POL

Post by POL » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:33 am

Good shout Rich, although my frames are pretty good (high-20s with everything maxed, 4096px 3D clouds, etc.) there's always scope for a few more FPS!

davem

Post by davem » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:54 pm

Rich, you fly with Horizon VFR but the link say sit changes the default FSX scenery tiles... Can you point it to the Horizon files instead??

Rotörhead

Post by Rotörhead » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:15 pm

I suppose it won't work for me. I use FEX.

What If I uninstall FEX before and reinstall it afterwards, would that work?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/olicphoto/

Aviation Photography Instagram: @olicphoto

RichC

Post by RichC » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:39 am

davem wrote:Rich, you fly with Horizon VFR but the link say sit changes the default FSX scenery tiles... Can you point it to the Horizon files instead??
Dave, it says that but immediately after i did this, my FPS shot up like mentioned in the first post. I am now enjoying it again without very slow (down to 4fps when flying with Olicat the other night in Tu-160s).
It is now always double that and i am always flying with the Horizon scenery in the UK..... "definitely" done something to almost double my frame rate consistently.
I can have top of the slider trees covering most of England, almost 100% sliders for the scenery mesh etc and getting consistent higher frame rates. Before that, i would be unable to fly with the sliders at 100%.

I was flying around Portland and Dover the other night in a Seaking and Merlin with 100% scenery complexity and 100% water quality together with AICarriers and my frame rate was 18fps. When before, it was around 6fps for the same area.

Sean Mac

Post by Sean Mac » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:58 pm

I don't know if you had the same problem Rich but the Password does not work for files 2,3,4.

Sean.
Equipment
Canon EOS 80D x 2
Uniden 125XLT with Watson W-901 Aerial & Skyscan Desktop Antenna.
http://www.facebook.com/seanmcrandleaviationimages

RichC

Post by RichC » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:12 pm

worked fine for 1,2,4 but not for 3 but then i tried it several times and it worked so all was okay.
Remember to back up all the files it tells you....

Rotörhead

Post by Rotörhead » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:38 pm

How many GB is required for the backup?

RichC

Post by RichC » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:28 pm

i think....2.8 or something, can't remember.

Rotörhead

Post by Rotörhead » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:24 pm

Hmh I only have 700MB left on the C drive now. :O

POL

Post by POL » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:14 am

Get an esternal drive for your backups :)

Or, once you know the changes work and there are no adverse effects - delete the backup :)

RichC

Post by RichC » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:52 am

If you dont fly in certain areas like Australasia and other far flung places (i know we have on MP before Olicat) then you dont need to back those places up. Could say, back up EURW only..... not sure. That way it will be minimal backup.

Rotörhead

Post by Rotörhead » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:30 pm

ChrisGlobe wrote:Get an esternal drive for your backups :)

Or, once you know the changes work and there are no adverse effects - delete the backup :)
I do - but I use it for other things (like photo storage) so it has 3GB left :lol:

I'll delete them though ;)

RichC

Post by RichC » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:58 pm

I got rid loads of aircraft i never fly and i released 13GB the other week :D
Some aircraft take up nearly a GB in HDD space. Hence why when we were flying the other week, i had none of the stuff you have as i had deleted them all!

Return to “Flight Simulator Technical Board”