Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

FSX Gold Edition Problem

For all your questions and answers regarding FS2004 (FS9) and FSX.
If you have problems, post them here....
chinook

FSX Gold Edition Problem

Post by chinook » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:06 pm

I had a problem with my computer which has now been resolved, however I am unable to re-install my FSX Gold edition anymore. When I put the disc in all opens then I get a page giving me the options of " repair " or " remove ". I have tried both with no effect. When I click repair it asks for disc 1 and runs OK. It then asks for disc 2 and again runs almost to the end then O get a box come up asking to insert the disc or remove. That is as far as I can get. System restore does not do any good.

Now here are my questions.

I particularly would like the DVD version as I have several add on DVDs. If I purchase another Gold Edition DVD would it install or would I have the same problem?

If I was to purchase FSX steam version I assume all my DVDs would be useless. Also I have a down load of a certain aircraft would I still be able to use that?

quid21

Re: FSX Gold Edition Problem

Post by quid21 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:21 pm

Sounds to me like it thinks that FSX is still installed possibly due to some lingering registry settings.

Does FSX show up in Add/Remove programs?

ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE MODIFYING IT! You can do this by opening regedit and clicking 'file', 'export'.

You might want to try CCleaner which can remove unused registry entries. Or perhaps tweaking.com WIndows repair tool.

I could be completely wrong, but that's how it sounds to me. I guess it all depends on what happened to cause your PC problems in the first place and how you recovered from that.

garyscott
Location: DONT trust Atoms . . . . they make up everything . .

Post by garyscott » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:52 pm

chinook wrote: If I was to purchase FSX steam version I assume all my DVDs would be useless. Also I have a down load of a certain aircraft would I still be able to use that?
The steam version should give no issues, but your addons will have to be installed to the new folder that FSX will reside in. It wont be in the same place as before. In your program files, it will be in the "steam" folder, not "microsoft games" or whatever it is (currently at work, so cant be exact).

Alternatively, Quid21's advice is sound.

chinook

Post by chinook » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:40 pm

Hi,

I eventually decided to go for FSX Steam and hit a problem.

Before I could launch the FSX game I had to accept a separate Steam agreement. This was OK but every time I went into the game this agreement would come up again and I would have to accept it again. It would then go through updates before launching the game. Once launched all was OK but this was frustrating.

I was under the impression once I purchased FSX it was a stand alone product via Microsoft.

I contacted microsoft and explained the situation and had 2 remote sessions with them. They could not resolve the issue so I got a refund and have taken this off my computer.

Anyone any ideas how this would happen. Where can I buy FSX Steam without going through a 3rd party?

garyscott

Post by garyscott » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:05 pm

FSX Steam is exactly that im afraid, FSX bought through Steam. Steam has an annoying habit of updating quite regularly, so its a case of having to put up with it.

chinook

Post by chinook » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi,

Thanks for that. So am I correct in thinking that it tends to update regular and that each time you have to again agree to the terms. Annoying as it is I think I could then live with it. I assume I can only play on line.

garyscott

Post by garyscott » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:55 pm

Steam will update fairly regularly. I dont have FSX-Steam, just vanilla FSX, and keeping it that way. I use Steam for ARMA.
The updates are certainly frequent, but ive never had to 'agree to terms' regularly? You should still be able to use your FSX offline, as well as online.
Hopefully someone who knows FSX Steam specifics will be on to give their perspective.
Hope you get a resolution soon Chinook.

POL

Post by POL » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:24 am

What operating system?

Sounds like you're running in to the good-old User Account Control "Virtual Store" issues of having two versions of the same software installed.

Return to “Flight Simulator Technical Board”