Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Stansted spotting info

Please post movements and activity at any other location not specified above which handles military movements within the United Kingdom.
TB1

Stansted spotting info

Post by TB1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:45 am

Found the following note over on the Civil Aviation forum.

""Unfortunately Manchester Airport Group and Essex Police have, after much deliberation, come to the conclusion that North Side is no longer a suitable location to spot from and all Plane Watch members and Plane Spotting enthusiasts will be encouraged to go to Belmer Road, Burton End.

This is due to a number of reasons but most importantly for the security of the North Side of the Airport.

It is with regret that I am sending this email as in the past members of Plane Watch have sent the Police valuable information and I hope that this good working relationship will continue.""

"sad but we did have a heads up yesterday and there have been enough warnings but sadly a minority didn't listen and the consequences will now be felt by all. I've personally worked hard to try to avert this with posts here there and everywhere and discussions with one of the FBOs who were suffering the most but still some didn't listen - too late now but a future lesson for all who think the rules don't apply to them"

Not sure how any of this will be enforced, hopefully one of the locals might help.

Trevor

slogen51

Re: Stansted spotting info

Post by slogen51 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:45 pm

Probably connected to the number of middle Eastern flights into the airport?

It's a UK airport but they don't want UK citizens looking at them - I think the police should remind them that we are not in Dubai or Abu Dhabi and plane spotting is legal over here - just my tuppence worth?

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:16 pm

Has nothing to do with that at all and has everything to do with people going into areas and buildings they have no right to and abusing staff when asked to leave. There have been other incidents of unacceptable behaviour by so called enthusiasts and this is the result
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:51 am

I know of that well known occurrence but I don't believe that has happened recently

I go there often and I personally don't see any problems . The area is well away from the passenger terminal.

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:47 am

The area is a passenger terminal, albeit V.I.Ps, and therefore far more sensitive. The transgressions have never stopped unfortunately and the authorities have given more than enough warnings over it and now they have had enough.
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:47 am

It could be argued that anyone who has ever driven in to the Northside area at Stansted is the cause of the problem. Situated at the entrance are two signs indicating no access except on business. Plane spotting certainly does not fall within that category.

Having been involved with the production of the Bye-Laws for Heathrow many years ago, and knowing that all BAA airports had similar wordings, it was actually an offence to enter anywhere within the airport perimeter unless you were there on legitimate business; this meant airport staff, passengers and meeters and greeters etc but certainly not spotters who were considered the bane of people's lives even in those days.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:58 am

The police usually just ask you to park in the £1 pay and display area not far from the old spotters shop.

I haven't had any problems there but I just go in get the numbers and park where suggested earlier.

There will come a time when you need a permit to get out of bed!

lambo1784

Post by lambo1784 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:54 pm

As already mentioned the companies in the area have had repeated agro from so called spotters and have finally said enough is enough and complained to the police who have turned a blind eye to us being there as long as we behaved outrselves,and the owners of the airport.
Would not be surprised if a manned barrier is put up or have airport security patrolling the area.
Problem seems to have been worse when a show at Duxford brings alot of spotters into the area some of which have ignored the signs and have even used toilets in the company buildings.
This is apart from the increased security needed for visiting v.i.ps who are becoming more regular plus the great un washed who protest about anything under the sun.

John in Seaford

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:13 pm

Probably the so called celebrities not wanting the great unwashed to spot their VAT reclaimed biz jets

marinergaz

Post by marinergaz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:44 pm

As usual some people just cant control themselves for that "one more serial / photo " by the sounds of it, a great shame for those who comply with airport rules. As a very non regular visitor could somebody clarify what North side is ? Is it the area where the cafe is as I have seen reports elsewhere its round where the Tristar is ? Sorry if its a stupid question, I am visiting the area next month and dont want to make the situation even worse by being in the wrong place etc.

lambo1784

Post by lambo1784 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:59 pm

It is the whole area of the business park which is out of bounds,the entrance was off the roundabout opposite jet parks,you can still park past the village and view the runway from the grass although that road will get busy if something good is due.

John

marinergaz

Post by marinergaz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:33 pm

Cheers John, I know exactly where you mean, thanks for the info. Belmer Road it is then.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:25 pm

You should still be able to go to the cafe for a butty and coffee? They do a fine sausage baguette!

Return to “All other areas around the UK”